Every Friday we feature Valley history taken from our back issues.
Five years ago this week in the Comox Valley Record:
The Island Corridor Foundation had been advocating for better rail service for Islanders for about eight years when member Jack Peake planned a trip to Ottawa to ask for money to help improve the service.
"As far as I'm concerned, the old E&N Line is underutilized," said Peake. "We're launching a serious, concerted campaign to lobby all levels of government for funding."
The Island Corridor Foundation wanted $50 million combined from the feds and the Province to spend on the E&N Railway Dayliner service from Courtenay to Victoria.
Ten years ago this week in the Comox Valley Record:
About 200 friends and relatives waited for 25 members of 407 Maritime Air Patrol Squadron who arrived en masse back from a six-month tour of duty with Op Apollo in the Middle East.
This rotation was the second group of service personnel to be deployed to the Op Apollo from CFB Comox.
The next rotation was already preparing to leave for the Middle East as the second group arrived home, according to a CFB Comox public affairs officer.
Fifteen years ago this week in the Comox Valley Record:
Police believed one suspect was responsible for a string of armed conv enience store robberies and attempted robberies around the Comox Valley.
"This guy is a major priority for us," RCMP Sergeant Dean Hodgson, adding "I'm sure someone would like a generous reward from Crime Stoppers for turning this guy in."
The man was described as Caucasian, about six feet tall and between 25 and 30 years old. Police believed they were getting closer to solving the crimes, but six stores were hit since the beginning of December.
Twenty years ago this week in the Comox Valley Record:
The new Comox Recreation Centre announced an open house to check out the newly improved space.
"Our grand opening gives us the chance to acknowledge those who contributed their expertise to the enterprise, and to get the public familiar with what we have," said recreation director David Durrant.
Twenty five years ago this week in the Comox Valley Record:
A former Comox Elementary teacher was cleared of five counts of indecent assault and one of sexual assault after a three-day trial in Nanaimo.
Allan Britton addressed the court after hearing he was absolved.
"I want to say that, for one moment, I lost faith in our judicial system," he said. "It has been a horrendous two years, for myself and my loving family."
The Comox District Teachers' Association's Chris Taylor spoke to reporters outside the courthouse after the verdict was announced.
"While he's been absolved, it can't make up for the two years of living hell the man has been through," said Taylor.