News

Elderly woman dies in fire at her Comox home

An elderly woman died early Sunday morning in the bedroom of her apartment in Comox.
The fire began around 9 a.m. at the Manor Place apartments off Comox Avenue near St. Joseph's Hospital, confirmed Rick Shelton, assistant chief operations and training of the Comox Fire Department.
"A neighbour reported smoke and the duty officer who arrived first on scene made entry through the door but was unable to make entry (to the bedroom) because of smoke," he said.
Once a department truck arrived, the fire in the bedroom was extinguished.
"The fire is still under investigation, but there is a good chance the elderly woman was a smoker. The bedroom was burned right through," added Shelton.
He noted the suite did sustain significant smoke damage along with the apartment above.
photos@comoxvalleyrecord.com

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Amrik Virk advised Kwantlen on secret executive bonus
 
Staying put, for now
 
Wheels of fire
Physiotherapist guilty of assaults on eight female patients
 
Flu vaccine less effective against mutant strain
 
Liquor changes could push up prices
Sooke soccer rained-out
 
Star of the Week
 
Basketball Season Begins

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 20 edition online now. Browse the archives.