RCMP Report for week of Dec. 29-Jan. 4
On Dec. 29, the Comox Valley RCMP were notified of a break, enter and theft to a residence located on the 2700 block of Penrith Avenue, Courtenay. It was reported that an intoxicated male had entered the home, and had stolen a quantity of alcohol. The male was located a short time later, arrested and taken to the Comox Valley RCMP detachment cells where he was lodged until sober. The male was charged with break and enter and released on documents with a court appearance in the new year.
A call was made to the Comox Valley RCMP about a vehicle that was possibly being driven by an intoxicated person during the late night hours of Dec. 29. Patrols for the vehicle were made and it was located in Comox. The vehicle driver was not intoxicated, however, the vehicle had been reported stolen on Dec. 12. The driver was arrested, charged with possession of stolen property and released on a promise to appear court in the new year. The investigation into this theft is continuing.
A report of mischief was made to the Comox Valley RCMP on Dec. 30. Construction equipment was parked at a work site on the 2400 block of Arden overnight. Unknown person(s) smashed all the windows in the piece of machinery. Anyone that may have information regarding this mischief, can report it to the Comox Valley RCMP at 250-338-1321 or Comox Valley Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
Weed and speed
While conducting patrols, on Jan. 1, a Comox Valley RCMP constable noted a vehicle speeding on Comox Avenue, Courtenay. A traffic stop was conducted and the driver was found to be under the influence of marijuana. The vehicle was impounded and the driver was given a 24-hour driving prohibition and a violation ticket for speeding.
A stolen vehicle report was made to the Comox Valley RCMP on Jan. 2. The vehicle was taken from the 1200 block of Crown Isle Drive, Courtenay. On Jan. 3, a reported sighting of the vehicle led to the vehicle being located and a suspect arrested. The suspect was charged with the theft of the vehicle and was released on documents to attend court on a future date.
The Comox Valley RCMP responded to three break and enters on Jan. 2.
1) A business alarm on the 2400 Block of Cousins Avenue, Courtenay, in the morning hours. It was determined that the business had been broken into and entered. While inside, the unknown person(s) had gone through several desks and cupboards.
2) The Comox Valley RCMP were also advised of a shed that had been broken into overnight on the 2400 block of Macaulay Road, Black Creek. A gate was damaged to gain access to the property. While inside, the culprit(s) damaged several items and stole an amount of cash, as well as several tools.
3) Unknown person(s) had entered several buildings of a farm on the 4100 block of Island Highway South, Royston. Several items were stolen, including a bicycle.
If you have any information regarding these break and enters, please contact the Comox Valley RCMP at 250-338-1321 or Comox Valley Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS(8477).
Next day, another three
The Comox Valley RCMP responded to three more break and enters on Jan. 3.
1) A business alarm was reported on the 500 block of Fifth Street, Courtenay, in the early morning hours. It was discovered that a business at this location had been broken into and entered. It appears, once inside, the unknown person(s) was checking for items to steal.
2) The second report of a break, enter and theft was to an unattached garage on the 300 block of Third Street, Courtenay. The unknown person(s) made entry and it was reported a bicycle and tools were stolen.
3) A business on the 3900 block of the Island Highway South was broken into and gone through. A laptop computer and other electronic items were stolen. If you have any information regarding these break and enters, please contact the Comox Valley RCMP at 250-338-1321 or Comox Valley Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
Elantra on the lam
A theft of a vehicle on the 600 block of Salish Street, Comox, was reported to the Comox Valley RCMP on Jan. 3. The vehicle, a 2013 Grey Hyundai Elantra, B.C. plate 147LRT, with a roof rack, dent in the driver side rear bumper and cracked front bumper, was taken from the residence sometime overnight. The investigation to locate this vehicle is still ongoing.
A residential break, enter and theft that occurred on the 2500 Block of Cathy Crescent, Courtenay was reported on Jan. 4. The residence and garage had been gone through. A red/white CRF Honda 130cc dirt bike and riding gear was taken. This investigation is continuing and if you have any information regarding this incident, please contact the Comox Valley RCMP at 250-338-1321 or Comox Valley Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
Excessive speed in school zone
On Jan. 4, during speed enforcement on Pritchard Road, Comox, a vehicle was stopped for excessively speeding in a school zone. The vehicle, travelling 75 km/h in the 30 km/h zone, was subsequently impounded for seven days and an excessive speed violation ticket was issued to the driver.