The annual ceremonial review of the 189 Royal Canadian Sea Cadet Corps Port Augusta was held Saturday at HMCS Quadra.
Comox Mayor Russ Arnott was the reviewing officer.
Courtenay Mayor Bob Wells also took part in the inspections of the guard and of the ship’s company.
For more than 125 years, the Canadian Cadet Movement has offered training to young people free of charge. The Port Augusta Corps first formed as the Boys Brigade from 1902-1912, and was known as the Komox Branch. It reformed as the Navy League Cadets, operating from 1927-1935. The corps folded when their building burnt down.
The Sea Cadet Corps Port Augusta was formed and ran until 1948, then from 1957-1960. Port Augusta was named after the body of water now known as the Comox Harbour. It was originally named for Augusta Baynes, the daughter of Rear-Admiral Sir Robert Baynes, Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Station, 1857-1860.
In 1964, four ex-servicemen restarted the sea cadet corps in Comox. It has since operated continuously.