The Canadian Daughters’ League Assembly No. 6 of Courtenay will celebrate its 90th anniversary this Friday.
There will be a luncheon for members and a few invited guests at the Native Sons Hall. National president Eleanor Shaw will convene this gathering.
On Jan. 23, 1924, the Canadian Daughters League Assembly No. 6 was launched as 60 members were initiated and election of officers took place. Provincial president Matheson was in attendance to install the officers and make No. 6 official. By 1934 there were 60 assemblies across Canada, stretching from Vancouver Island to Montreal.
During the war years, Canadian Daughters worked long and hard for nationhood and Canadian citizenship. Some of the many projects taken on by members across Canada were to contribute to two four-bed wards at Taplow Hospital in England. Also in England, they equipped a mobile canteen.
In Canada, it was beds for Deer Lodge in Manitoba, assisting in equipping a soldiers’ wing at the University Hospital in Edmonton, an operating table for Shaughnessy Hospital in Vancouver, a four-bed ward at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto.
They also contributed to a military hospital in Saskatchewan,
donated six stretchers and bandages. In 1944 they adopted two Canadian prisoners of war and sent clothing, cigarettes and candy for their comfort.
The membership helped greatly through letters to the federal government and sending resolutions to acquire a Canadian flag. This finally came about in 1965 and they were overjoyed to see our own flag with the beautiful red maple leaf.
During all these years the Daughters have given many dollars to deserving students to promote and support music, art and education. These bursaries and scholarships have been presented nationally, provincially and locally.
It is a very gratifying feeling to present one of these awards to a young student with our good wishes for their future and encourage them to be proud citizens of their country.
— Canadian Daughters’ League Assembly No. 6