June is Brain Injury Awareness Month.
To bring attention to the devastating effects of brain injury and to help continue the important services provided, the Comox Valley Head Injury Society (CVHIS) is holding two fundraisers during the month of June.
• The first fundraiser is an ongoing bottle drive where people can donate their refundable beverage containers to account #290 at the Courtenay Return-it Depot. They can also call volunteers Nancy and Allen for pick up by calling 250-339-6205. This fundraiser will continue throughout the year.
• The second fundraiser is the CVHIS’s first online silent auction! This auction will be held via Facebook and will go live June 1 and end June 15. Staff and volunteers have been busy collecting fabulous items such as golf passes, artwork, woodwork/driftwood furniture, gas fire pit, barbecue, a handmade quilt, jewelry, restaurant and grocery gift cards and more!
Go to Facebook and search for the Comox Valley Head Injury Society or bit.ly/3vHlvJa to find details.
Important information on brain injuries:
• More Canadians are living with an acquired brain injury (ABI) than those living with MS, HIV/AIDS, spinal cord injury and breast cancer combined;
• One person suffers a serious brain injury every three minutes in Canada;
• There are two types of ABI – non-traumatic and traumatic; includes stroke, aneurysm, tumor, infections, vehicle collisions, falls, sports injuries, assaults, and substance abuse;
• Every person will respond differently to an ABI, but common impacts include physical, cognitive, emotional and behavioral changes.
What can be done to prevent an ABI?
• Wearing a seatbelt and securing children in car seats;
• Correct helmet and fitting for sports – cycling, hockey, basketball, skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, lacrosse, equestrian riding, motor cross, etc.;
• Take precautions to prevent falls – install handrails, safety gates etc.
For more information on services, contact the Comox Valley Head Injury Society at 250-334-9225, email email@example.com, or visit online at www.cvhis.org or on Facebook: Comox Valley Head Injury Society.
For more information on the June fundraisers or to donate items, contact Louise Howes at 250-334-9225 or firstname.lastname@example.org