The Courtenay & District Museum is pleased to host Myrna Boulding and Catherine Gilbert for a talk and slide show based on the book Survival Strathcona Style, Off the Grid and On the Edge at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 23.
Strathcona Park Lodge and Outdoor Education Centre celebrates its 60th anniversary this year. Situated on Highway 28 halfway between Campbell River and Gold River, the ‘Lodge,’ as it is affectionately known, began as a cedar log building that floated across from one side of the lake to the other when Upper Campbell Lake was flooded during the 1958 construction of Strathcona Dam.
A year later, the building landed on the shore of property belonging to Wallace Baikie, he then sold to his daughter Myrna and her husband Jim Boulding who intended to start a boy’s camp.
The camp idea was abandoned in favour of tourism, but by the early 1970s, the Bouldings had reprised their idea of training in the outdoors.
Influenced by such notable conservationists as Roderick Haig-Brown and George Clutesi, the Bouldings began the long journey of establishing what was to become a world-renowned outdoor education centre.
Join Myrna and Catherine for their presentation about the Lodge and view the newly released second edition of Survival Strathcona Style. Copies will be available for purchase ($25.00) and signing after the talk.
Admission to the event is $5 per Historical Society member; $6 non-members. Advance tickets recommended.
The Courtenay Museum is located at 207 Fourth Street in downtown Courtenay.
FMI or to purchase tickets over the phone: 250-334-0686 ext.2.