Whether you come for the pancake breakfast, the quilt show, dahlias, chicken p**p bingo, toe-tapping music or the heart-thumping Midway rides, the Comox Valley Exhibition has something for everybody this weekend.
In its 137th year, it is one of the longest-running agricultural fairs in British Columbia. The fair has grown from a small local celebration of Comox Valley agriculture to a regional leader in agricultural events.
The theme of the 2011 exhibition at the Comox Valley Exhibition Grounds in Courtenay off Headquarters Road is Cowboy Trails ‘n 4-H Tales, celebrates Comox Valley farmers and local agriculture youth.
Admission is free Friday and Saturday from 7 to 9 p.m. and is priced at other times depending on age, with a maximum daily cost $10 per person.
Aug. 26 — noon to 7 p.m. – Kia mainstage entertainment features the Luzna Orchestra. The midway, beer garden and food is open until 10 p.m.
Pancake breakfasts happen at 9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Aug. 27 — 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. — the Kia mainstage entertainment is highlighted by Time Well Wasted. The midway, beer garden and food stays open until 10 p.m.
Aug. 28 — the fair runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The chili contest starts at 2.
A partial list of features includes sheepdog demos, goat milking, chainsaw carving the Boomtown Gang in their colourful historical clothes and Wild West shooting.
Other events include:
• Interfor & Shar-Kare Chinook Forest Products Logging Show;
• Let’s Go Track ‘n Trail Kids Fun Run;
• Comox Valley Dodge Strongman Competition;
• Wagz World of Dogs;
• Culinary demonstration booth making cheese, yogurt, soap, bread, jam, etc.
• Thrifty Foods Home and Garden Show;
• Black Creek Farm and Feed Supply Poultry Show;
• Kiwanis Extreme Zucchini Race;
• South Country Feed and Supply Hoof ‘n Woof;
• Shar-Kare Petting Pen;
• Comox District Co-op Farmer For A Day
• ProForm Hay Analysis Competition;
• First Insurance Island Photo Booth;
• West Coast Amusements;
• Quilt Show;
• Scavenger Hunt;
• Island Farms Daisy and Farmer Vicki;
• Miniature Horse Demonstrations;
• Chicken Poop Bingo;
• Slegg Meadow Stage Entertainment;
• DoCo Train;
• Woofy’s 4-H Shows;
• Cattle Sorting.
For more, visit, www.cvex.ca.