An entry by Comox Valley photographer John Kelsey won BC Hydro’s fourth annual Team Power Smart photo contest.
This year’s theme was wasteful behaviour and judges looked at how entries captured wastefulness.
Kelsey’s winning photograph, titled Not just light being wasted, shows a fridge door left slightly open and illuminating the wooden floors of a kitchen. The photo shows electricity being wasted as cold air is let out of the fridge unnecessarily.
BC Hydro recommends limiting the amount of time a fridge door is open as the fridge has to work harder and use more energy to keep the inside at a specific temperature.
• BC Hydro runs the Team Power Smart photo contest in partnership with London Drugs and Royal BC Museum each year for Power Smart Month in October.
• The judging panel reviewed 550 entries. Submissions were judged on originality, relevance to the theme, composition, lighting and technical qualities.
• The top 10 finalists receive $100 London Drugs photo lab gift cards. Their photos will be displayed in Victoria’s Royal BC Museum from Nov. 30 to Jan. 27.
• As the grand prize winner, John Kelsey will receive a Nikon D700 SLR camera package from London Drugs. His photo will be featured in newspaper advertisements in his community, on the Lower Mainland and in Victoria.
• To view the top 10 photos, visit www.londondrugs.com/teampowersmart.
• Team Power Smart members receive exclusive energy saving tips, offers and rewards. Members also have the chance to enter monthly contests, such as the photo contests, focused on conservation. British Columbians can join for free at bchydro.com/teampowersmart.
— BC Hydro