Weir’s duck was the first across the finish line on the Courtenay River in the 24th annual Ducky 500. Weir earned a seven-day eastern Caribbean cruise for two or $5,000 cash.
Other winners among the more than 5,600 people who bought $10 tickets were:
2. Eric Holmberg: three-day Disneyland trip for four or $2,500 cash;
3. Adam Whyte: four-day Las Vegas trip for two or $1,000 cash; 4. Jason Knodel: barbecue valued at $700; 5. Tara Hansun: four tires valued at $600; 6. Jo Hellenes: deluxe smoker valued at $500;
7. Elizabeth Friel: wine cooler valued at $400;
8. Lori/Al Ketch: eight-foot pontoon boat valued at $350;
9. Joan Jackson: eight-piece camping combo, including tent, valued at $250;
10. Tavis Ball: 67-piece tool set valued at $150.
The Rotary Club of Comox, which runs the event, thanks the community for continued support. All funds raised go directly back into the Comox Valley, the club says.