On the first Sunday of each month a group of people of all ages and musical ability come together to share the unique experience of “circle singing.”
Join Joanna Finch and the Circle Singing Tribe at the Abbey Studio in Cumberland at 3:30-5:30 p.m. on March 6.
Geared towards singers of every vocal level, in the Circle Singing Tribe, singers and non-singers alike will learn to confidently connect with their voice, lessening fear and resulting in a happier singing experience.
Whether you want to sing for your own enjoyment or have a different goal in mind, this class will connect you to confidence through creative expression
Within this safe, inclusive environment, participants move towards their true vocal potential through purposeful exercises, healthy vocalizing and fun, active games that get you “out of your head and into your body.” Singers will gain more confidence in their voice as they improve vocal skills and connect with other singers.
Shy to sing? Do you say: “I’m not a singer, but I love music…” This class welcomes percussionists, “noise makers” and those who express thorough movement. We all have something to share and to learn from each other.
Here are some of the things done in circle singing:
• Voicestra – leader gives parts to sections and soloists take turns improvising over
• What comes next – phrases of familiar songs are sung in a circle one stanza at a time by individuals.
• Home – building a harmonic, rhythmic song one voice at a time over a simple musical riff.
• Call and Response – leader sings; the group echos back
• Switch! -a hilarious character game
• Rhythm jams – hand clapping, body percussion, Cuban rhythms with claves and shakers
Tell your friends and share the fun. The more the merrier. There is no cost as Finch is offering her skills for free, but a small donation to help pay for the studio rental is appreciated. Bring drinking water to keep yourself hydrated. Wear loose clothing.
For more information call 250-792-3717.