The Soul Summit Concert on April 6 at the Sid Williams Theatre will include blues, swing, R&B and soul music.
The lineup features some soulful and experienced musicians.
• Guitar virtuoso and vocalist Russell Marsland has been a powerful presence on the Vancouver music scene for more than 30 years.
In 1978 Russell co-founded Vancouver’s Rhythm & Blues All Stars.
The band played its first gig opening for the legendary Long John Baldry.
Russell has performed with hundreds of artists, and has shared the stage with the Allman Brothers, B.B. King, Chuck Berry, James Brown, War, Ray Charles, and Steppenwolf to name a few.
Russell headlined four years at the Vancouver International Jazz Festival, Pender Harbour Blues Festival and opened the inaugural Burnaby Blues and Roots Festival.
Russell’s critically acclaimed CD Dig Deep achieved significant airplay in New Orleans on WWOZ Heritage Radio, Australian Radio, Warsaw Poland Blues and Roots radio and caught the attention of Alligator Records in 2008 in Chicago.
• Neil Harnett is from White Rock and has enjoyed such highlights as a Juno nomination, three singles on the Canadian charts, two full-length CDs, three videos with national exposure and shared concert billings with Jeff Healey, Chuck Berry and the Doobie Brothers.
Neil was nominated for a Juno Award as Most Promising Male Vocalist in 1990.
• Johnny Ferreira swings and rocks as saxman for the Colin James Band. His stage presence and sax appeal knocks the audience out every time.
• David (Hurricane) Hoerl is usually seen working with his band the Twisters, which he founded. He sings lead and is one of the best harmonica players in the country. From Mississippi delta, country to Chicago-style, the Hurricane is the Man.
The Live Coast Allstars have their share of experience:
• With more than 100 recording projects to his acclaim, drummer Gerry Adolphe has worked with Philip Bailey, Peebo Bryson, Roberta Flack, Melissa Manchester, Jeffrey Osbourne, George Fox, Lisa Brokop, Booker T. Jones, Jim Byrnes, Long John Baldry, Sass Jordan, Shari Ulrich, Valdy, Roy Forbes, Spirit of the West, Seal, Pinetop Perkins, Taj Mahal and Lowell Fulson.
Gerry is the powerhouse drummer with Chilliwack.
Bassist Billy Mendoza is a fabulous vocalist and fronts the Steely tribute show Steelin’ in the Years.
Darryl Havers on keys and vocals performed legendary keyboard work with Brickhouse. His graceful touch on the Hammond organ can be heard with artists as diverse as Amos Garrett, Powder Blues and Doug and the Slugs.
The Soul Summit Concert happens April 6 at the Sid Williams Theatre. For more information, visit www.sidwilliamstheatre.com or phone 250-338-2430.
— Live Coast Productions