Time waits for no man, said the sage. But for videos … well, a little.
The deadline for entries to VidzFest has been extended to April 21. That’s the local video festival coming up as part of the Elevate The Arts day-long event May 5, centred in downtown Courtenay.
“We’ve had interest from some quality video artists, but we were getting feedback that folks needed a little more time,” said VidzFest co-ordinator Jamie Bowman. “So, that’s what we’ve done. The review panel will just have to condense our viewing time of the submissions.”
The videos will be screened in the daytime at Joe’s Garage, with at a dusk venue outdoors. In addition, the videos will be featured on ETA’s VidzFest YouTube channel, with further promotion in social media and traditional media.
“We’ve organized it more like an art show than a competition,” said Bowman. “There are no prizes, but the community gets to see the valuable local talent we have and the video artists get to share their work and be recognized in the community and beyond.”
There is no entry fee and the competition is open to all ages.
Entries must be between two and 32 minutes in length and must:
• Have content associated with ‘the arts’ theme of Vidz Fest and Elevate the Arts;
• Be about the Comox Valley or made by an artist who lives here;
• Be submitted to Elevate the Arts by April 21 (earlier submissions will get benefit of more time for review for inclusion in the fest);
• Be in common video file format (.avi, .mov, etc.) preferably provided via disk, stick drive, or web transfer;
• Allow rights of reproduction for use within the Vidz Fest;
• Be in keeping with community standards for art in a public place.
Submitters should also provide a bio and some comments about the making of the work and why the piece is relevant and valuable to the community.
Videos can be dropped off at the Comox Valley Art Gallery or they can be sent to VidzFest@elevatethearts.com.
Creativity and content will be at the heart of the selection process.
After the fest, videos will continue to be recognized within Elevate the Arts communications (website, press releases, Facebook, YouTube, etc.)
For more information and a submission form, check www.elevatethearts.com/video-artists-invited-to-festival, www.elevatethearts.com or www.comoxvalleyarts.org.
— Elevate the Arts