Twilight Drive-In has been capped to 50 cars due to a provincial health ban order amended on Friday, May 22. Owner Jay Daulat is fighting for an health ministry exemption to the ruling, to allow more cars to buy in, attend, and keep his business afloat. (Aldergrove Star files)

B.C. drive-in theatre appeals COVID-19 concession rules, 50-car limit

With 50 cars and the removal of concession sales, drive-in owner says theatre might have to close

Monday night in Aldergrove saw Twilight Drive-In welcome more than 100 cars in its lot to see Indiana Jones projected high upon its 40-foot screen.

That afternoon, owner Jay Daulat found out an amended provincial health ban – restricting events to no more than 50 vehicles – also applied to his business.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry was probed more than once during Monday’s COVID-19 briefing, asked whether drive-in theatres were supposed to limit moviegoers.

After replying yes, Henry said “it becomes a very challenging situation when you have large numbers of vehicles, to be able to monitor and ensure you don’t have those multiple numbers of connections,” possibly transmitting the virus.

When the ruling came into effect on Friday, Daulat was under the impression that the drive-in – being “an established business, not a pop-up event” – was exempt.

The owner said he figured the ban swung down to address a number of pop-up drive-in movie theatres and concerts planned for the summer.

As such, Twilight continued selling movie tickets online and kept concession stands up and running.

Bylaw approval for 200 cars early spring

Daulat is still reluctant to accept that his business of 15 years, licensed by the Township of Langley, is the one affected.

Prior to Phase 1 of B.C.’s Restart Plan, Twilight voluntarily halved its car occupancy to 200, ensuring a 20-foot radius between each parked vehicle, Daulat said.

Normally up to 400 cars would swing by for a movie showing.

“We are better than guidelines,” Daulat told the Aldergrove Star about the distancing.

Plus, he said, people are socially isolating inside of vehicles.

RELATED: Drive-In boasts films from ‘the privacy of your own vehicle’ amid COVID-19

Reliant upon concession sales to stay float

In a joint statement released from Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix May 22, refreshment sales are also restricted for drive-in events.

“Anyone attending these events must stay in their cars unless they have to go to washrooms, which must be serviced with running water for proper hand hygiene,” the statement read.

Daulat said that without the sale of refreshments, the Twilight Drive-In, simply put, “would not run.”

“We would have to close,” he said, mentioning overhead costs.

“Concession stand sales are a major part for us. It’s just not feasible [to remove them],” the owner elaborated. Especially if only 50 cars are able to purchase movie tickets each night, he said.

The drive-in was initially approved to operate by Langley Township, and Daulat said Dr. Henry’s office also gave the business the go-ahead after seeing its social distancing protocol early March.

The owner said he had faxed her office the plans.

“But in Phase 2, we’re all of a sudden no good, but other businesses are?” Daulat questioned.

READ MORE: Twilight Drive-In turns ‘hundreds of cars away’ amid pandemic

Petitioning to stay

Earlier this week, he sent the health ministry files that requested an immediate exemption be granted for Twilight – so that he can continue operating.

“What we are doing is putting a reconsideration of the exemption in her hands [Tuesday] morning and getting the answer by end of the day,” he said, optimistically.

Meantime, the Twilight Drive-In has begun a public campaign asking for signatures and written letters and emails of support from its community of customers.

“Drive-ins across Canada are being allowed to open under their province’s Phase 1 of reopening – with identical protocols we have in place – and now we are being restricted more than them, in Phase 2,” Daulat posted on Twilight Drive-In’s Facebook page.

As of Tuesday morning, the public plea had close to 900 shares.

“We are asking you to tell them that you do not agree with these new restrictions being placed on permanent drive-in theatres,” it reads.

A petition created by the business on Monday, May 25, garnered more than 3,000 signatures overnight.

In a recent COVID-19 provincial health briefing, Henry has said there could be a time this summer when the number of vehicles allowed at events is expanded, but she stood firm the current restriction, saying “this is what we need to do right now.”

AldergroveCoronavirus

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

NDP headquarters on election night, Oct. 24, 2020. (Katya Slepian/Black Press Media)
ELECTION 2020: Live blog from B.C. party headquarters

BC NDP projected to win majority government – but celebrations will look different this election

B.C. Green Party leader Sonia Furstenau outlines her party's climate action platform at Nanaimo's Vancouver Island Conference Centre earlier this month. (News Bulletin file photo)
Green leader Furstenau declared victor in her home riding on Vancouver Island

Cowichan Valley voters elect freshly minted party leader for her second term

John Horgan has been re-elected the MLA for Langford-Juan de Fuca. (File-Black Press)
Horgan trounces challengers to be re-elected in his Vancouver Island riding

MLA has represented constituency of Langford-Juan de Fuca and its predecessors since 2005

A Secret Santa program through First Insurance – The Co-operators isn’t happening this year. Black Press file photo
Courtenay insurance company’s Secret Santa a no-go this year

First Insurance – The Co-operators program has run for almost 20 years

NDP Leader John Horgan celebrates his election win in the British Columbia provincial election in downtown Vancouver, B.C., Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Horgan celebrates projected majority NDP government, but no deadline for $1,000 deposit

Premier-elect says majority government will allow him to tackle issues across all of B.C.

Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

FILE – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau greets Premier John Horgan during a press conference at the BC Transit corporate office following an announcement about new investments to improve transit for citizens in the province while in Victoria on Thursday, July 18, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
Trudeau congratulates Horgan on NDP’s election victory in British Columbia

Final count won’t be available for three weeks due to the record number of 525,000 ballots cast by mail

Comedic actor Seth Rogen, right, and business partner Evan Goldberg pose in this undated handout photo. When actor Seth Rogen was growing up and smoking cannabis in Vancouver, he recalls there was a constant cloud of shame around the substance that still lingers. Rogen is determined to change that. (Maarten de Boer ohoto)
Seth Rogen talks about fighting cannabis stigma, why pot should be as accepted as beer

‘I smoke weed all day and every day and have for 20 years’

Provincial Green Party leader Sonia Furstenau speaks at Provincial Green Party headquarters at the Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe in Victoria. (Arnold Lim / Black Press)
VIDEO: Furstenau leads BC Greens to win first riding outside of Vancouver Island

Sonia Furstenau became leader of BC Greens one week before snap election was called

NDP Leader John Horgan elbow bumps NDP candidate Coquitlam-Burke Mountain candidate Fin Donnelly following a seniors round table in Coquitlam, B.C., Tuesday, October 20, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Horgan, NDP head for majority in B.C. election results

Record number of mail-in ballots may shift results

The Canadian border is pictured at the Peace Arch Canada/USA border crossing in Surrey, B.C. Friday, March 20, 2020. More than 4.6 million people have arrived in Canada since the border closed last March and fewer than one-quarter of them were ordered to quarantine while the rest were deemed “essential” and exempted from quarantining. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Majority of international travellers since March deemed ‘essential’, avoid quarantine

As of Oct. 20, 3.5 million travellers had been deemed essential, and another 1.1 million were considered non-essential

Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam responds to a question during a news conference Friday October 23, 2020 in Ottawa. Canada’s top physician says she fears the number of COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths may increase in the coming weeks as the second wave continues to drive the death toll toward 10,000. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Canada’s top doctor warns severe illness likely to rise, trailing spike in COVID-19 cases

Average daily deaths from virus reached 23 over the past seven days, up from six deaths six weeks ago

Most Read