Paul Berry, president of Comox Valley Ground Search and Rescue. Black Press file photo

Comox Valley ground SAR team cautiously pleased with provincial funding announcement

The president of the Comox Valley Ground Search and Rescue is pleased but cautious about the announcement of a funding boost of $18.6-million for B.C.’s search and rescue volunteers, announced by the Province last weekend.

Earlier this month, Paul Berry of CVGSAR said two pieces of funding from the past Liberal and current NDP governments have assisted the 80 search groups from around the province, but the last bit of funding was set to expire at the end of March.

It left groups scrambling to prepare for the shortfall.

With the most recent announcement, Berry said he is pleased to hear of the funding put forth but is also looking for more opportunities to work with the government to establish continued funding – such as a line item in the budget – for ground SAR teams.

RELATED: CVGSAR preparing for lack of provincial funding

“We’re still being cautious because the funding is not yet in our bank account and we’re not sure what the amount will look like,” he explained but added he believes it should be in the range of $85 to $90,000 per team annually.

The $18.6-million will be used over three years to replace equipment, bolster training, provincial initiatives, fund the Critical Incident Response Team and daily operations.

During Saturday’s announcement, Public Safety Minister Mike Farnsworth said the province will be creating a partnership committee, made up of Emergency Management BC staff and search and rescue representatives, to create a policy on future funding.

The committee will also be in charge of distributing the new money as needed by the various teams.

The BC Search and Rescue Association has been lobbying the provincial government for consistent funding for ground SAR teams on an annual basis since 2013, Berry explained.

He noted the funding boost will assist with training levels and while the team is very prudent and cautious with equipment, they will be replacing an aging vehicle soon.

CVGSAR along with Campbell River ground SAR is just about to offer helicopter hoist rescue – only the second team in the province to be able to offer the service. Between 12 to 16 members within the two teams will have the ability to offer the service and provide enough capacity for the Island.

Berry said because of the use of helicopter time, there will be a significant amount of funds used but with two teams trained on the Island, they will be able to respond anywhere throughout the region.

-With files from Ashley Wadhwani

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

North Island College announces 2020 graduation award winners

North Island College has announced the award recipients for the 2020 Graduation… Continue reading

Couple opts for plan B for wedding in Courtenay

Pandemic restrictions prompt April Powell and Hayden Eely to change plans for the big day

‘Someone knows something’: a look into Vancouver Island missing persons with interactive map

There are more than three dozen people listed as missing throughout Vancouver Island

Provincial COVID-19 data can now be used for B.C. to prepare for a second wave

In the past week, B.C. has seen a slight spike in daily test-positive case counts

Union Bay water plant now finished

Work allows health authority to lift boil water advisory

Islanders want BC Ferries to follow order that lets residents board before tourists

For ferry-dependent communities, ferries are often the sole practical lifeline to work, school or medical appointments.

Beverly Hills 90210 star’s family selling Vancouver Island Beach Resort

You can own Jason Priestley’s Terrace Beach Resort in Ucluelet for less than $5 million

Genetic detectives begin work to trace spread of COVID-19 in Canada

The kinds of genetic technology being used for this project did not exist when SARS hit Canada in 2003

Sports fishers protest Fraser River Chinook closures

Public Fishery Alliance wants hatchery fish open for harvest

B.C. Ferries increasing passenger capacity after COVID-19 restrictions

Transport Canada 50-per-cent limit being phased out, no current plans to provide masks

Amber Alert for two Quebec girls cancelled after bodies found

Romy Carpentier, 6, Norah Carpentier, 11, and their father, Martin Carpentier, missing since Wednesday

B.C. man prepares to be first to receive double-hand transplant in Canada

After the surgery, transplant patients face a long recovery

Grocers appear before MPs to explain decision to cut pandemic pay

Executives from three of Canada’s largest grocery chains have defended their decision to end temporary wage increases

Most Read