Courtenay council chimes in on Cumberland’s decision to opt out

Cumberland planning to withdraw from CVRD

  • Jul. 13, 2015 11:00 a.m.

Valley municipalities and electoral directors are slated to meet Aug. 12 to discuss Cumberland’s intention to withdraw from the regional economic development service.

Cumberland council would prefer to spend money on initiatives that directly impact the Village.

Last year, Cumberland provided $45,157 to the service that is provided under contract by the Comox Valley Economic Development Society.

Some members of Courtenay council are disappointed with Cumberland’s position.

“I think this is incorrect of Cumberland to engage in this process,” Coun. Erik Eriksson said at the July 6 meeting. He feels economic development should be Valley-wide.

“Cumberland would benefit from any economic improvement in Courtenay.”

Mayor Larry Jangula concurs.

“When the mill was functioning in Campbell River, 40 per cent of the employees lived here, so the mill had a very definite effect on this valley,” Jangula said. “Anything that happens anywhere in the area will benefit all of us. I think it’s most unfortunate that Cumberland has taken this position. I think you weaken the union when you start jumping out of the union.”

The request to withdraw from CVEDS rests with the provincial government.

Minister of Community, Sport and Cultural Development Coralee Oakes, responding to a letter from Cumberland Mayor Leslie Baird, hopes the Village will remain in the service.

“Regional economic development services are important to enabling local governments to work together to stimulate business and other economic development opportunities for their communities,” Oakes states in a return letter to Baird.

 

Just Posted

Comox Valley RCMP looking for suspicious man in Courtenay

Man was frantically waving at vehicles

Comox Valley golfers prepare for another 55+ Games

Competition, camaraderie name of the game

Comox Valley firefighters assist with wildfire effort

Four Courtenay firefighters are in Fort St. James helping with the fight… Continue reading

Woman rescued from Stotan Falls calling for safety measures

3L Developments did not comment on immediate plans to add safety precautions

B.C. declares state of emergency as more than 560 wildfires rage

This is only the fourth state of emergency ever issued during a fire season

PHOTOS: B.C. city wakes up to darkness under wildfire smoke

The rest of the province also dealing with thick haze as smoky skies continue

Hospitals to see ‘delays’ in care after losing Saudi students, health group says

About 1,000 Saudi residents called back to kingdom after suspending diplomatic relations with Canada

Bernier diatribe against ‘extreme multiculturalism’ boosts Liberal coffers

Party spokesperson Braeden Caley says online donations doubled, social media engagement quadrupled

‘Disjointed’ system hinders British Columbia First Nations in wildfire fight

More than 550 wildfires were burning in B.C. and crews were bracing for wind and dry lightning

MasterChef runner-up an award-winning broker

What started as an interest turned into a global pursuit

Castlegar bridge designed by architect of collapsed Italian bridge

Riccardo Morandi designed the Kinnaird Bridge, which is part of Highway 3.

Federal government announces over $115 million to Royal Canadian Navy

Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan was at Victoria’s CFB Esquimalt to announce missile system upgrades

RCMP nab prolific car thief after month-long, B.C.-wide search

A province-wide warrant was issued for Brian Robert Stephan in June for a litany of offences

Court sides with developer in Jumbo ‘substantially started’ dispute

Resort developer successfully argues 2014 decision that halted the project was unfair

Most Read