Readers in the Comox Valley like a good mystery.
That’s according to the Vancouver Island Regional Library’s list of top 10 (physical) books checked out from branches within the Comox Valley in 2019.
Detective/crime fiction author Michael Connelly made the list twice – taking the number one spot for his book Dark Sacred Night and the number 10 spot for Two Kinds of Truth.
The top 10 physical books are:
1. Dark Sacred Night, Michael Connelly
2. Kingdom of the Blind, Louise Penny
3. In a House of Lies, Ian Rankin
4. Washington Black, Esi Edugyan
5. The Great Alone, Kristin Hannah
6. Women Talking, Miriam Toews
7. Long Road to Mercy, David Baldacci
8. A Spark of Light, Jodi Picoult
9. The Midnight Line, Lee Child
10. Two Kinds of Truth, Michael Connelly
As for ebooks and audiobooks, Valley readers looked for a dose of reality, as the number one read book was Mark Manson’s bestseller The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck.
Readers were also drawn to other self-improvement books, as Rachel Hollis’s Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies About Who You Are so You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be also cracked the top five.
The top 10 ebooks and audiobooks are:
1. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life, Mark Manson
2. The Alice Network, Kate Quinn
3. Where the Crawdads Sing, Dalia Owens
4. Kingdom of the Blind: Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Series, Book 14, Louise Penny
5. Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies About Who You Are so You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be (unabridged), Rachel Hollis
6. Becoming, Michelle Obama
7. Small Wars: A Jack Reacher Story, Lee Child
8. 15th Affair: Women’s Murder Club Series, Book 15, James Patterson
9. Cleaning the Gold: A Jack Reacher and Will Trent Short Story, Karin Slaughter and Lee Child
10. Steeped in Love: Make Me a Match Series, Book 1, Julie Evelyn