Colby Messer

Denver sex assault charges dropped against Vancouver Island man

DA abandons case against Colby Messer of Port Alberni after new information surfaces

  • Oct. 18, 2016 6:00 p.m.

Sexual assault charges against a Port Alberni man lodged following a football road trip to Denver have been dropped.

The Denver District Attorney’s office announced the decision in a media release Monday.

“New information developed in this case that led to a determination that those charges could no longer be proven beyond a reasonable doubt,” the release states.”They were dismissed today.”

Colby James Messer, 30, was charged last April with six counts of sexual assault following an incident at a Denver hotel. Four of those charges were then dropped in August after a preliminary hearing.

He pled not guilty on Oct. 3 to two counts of sexual assault and overcoming the victim’s will.

According to Colorado court documents, Messer was accused of assaulting a 27-year-old female late at night on Nov. 14, 2015 at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Denver.

In statements to the police, the victim said she had been drinking with Messer and several of his companions before ending up in the hotel room, adding that she did not know how she got there.

The victim told police that she was left bleeding after being assaulted with several objects in the hotel room. She left the hotel room and went to a hospital, where she reported the assault to the Denver Police Department.

Denver District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Lynn Kimbrough stated that Messer was arrested on March 4 in Las Vegas upon returning to the U.S.

Messer waived his rights to extradition and appeared in in the Denver County Courtroom on March 23 for his first advisement.

Prior to Monday’s announcement, Messer had been slated to appear in Denver court again on Nov. 28. His bail conditions had been lessened to $200,000 bond and he was allowed to reside in Seattle with no GPS monitoring.

Three other men from Vancouver Island were also considered suspects in the investigation but charges were never laid against them.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Comox Valley Regional District receives $100,000 to develop poverty action plan

Courtenay-Comox NDP MLA Ronna-Rae Leonard says a $100,000 grant in provincial funding… Continue reading

Spring In The Garden: Natural disarray adds to the charm of the English cottage garden

Ellen Presley Special to The Record The cottage garden has had an… Continue reading

VIDEO: Community generosity helps Courtenay Elementary school replace stolen bikes

Community compassion, coupled with school connections, helped Courtenay Elementary restock its inventory… Continue reading

Comox Valley gives back

Comox Valley businesses, organizations and individuals helping improve the lives of others

If Trudeau won’t stand up to Trump, how will regular people: Singh

Trudeau did not directly answer a question about Trump’s actions amid protests

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

VIDEO: Internal investigation into aggressive arrest by Kelowna Mountie

A video allegedly shows a Kelowna Mountie striking a man several times

22 new COVID-19 test-positives, one death following days of low case counts in B.C.

Health officials urged British Columbians to ‘stand together while staying apart’

John Horgan says COVID-19 restrictions won’t be eased regionally

B.C. Liberals urge ‘tailored’ response based on infections

Feds get failing grade for lack of action plan on anniversary of MMIWG report

‘Instead of a National Action Plan, we have been left with a Lack-of-Action Plan’

Search and rescue crews help locate 62-year-old Nanoose Bay mountain biker

RCMP: Man got lost on trail and did right thing by calling for assistance

B.C. ranchers, lodge operators say Indigenous land title shuts them out

Tsilhqot’in jurisdiction affects grazing, access to private property

As two B.C. offices see outbreaks, Dr. Henry warns tests don’t replace other measures

Physical distancing, PPE and sanitizing remain key to reduce COVID-19 spread

Most Read