With Halloween approaching, the safety of all, especially children is paramount, and Comox Valley RCMP will have extra resources on hand to help.
RCMP want to keep everyone safe while having fun, and offer the following safety tips to keep in mind while enjoying the festivities:
• Ensure trick or treaters are visible to motorists. Brightly coloured clothing is an option, but should dark-coloured costumes be worn, please wear reflective tape, glow sticks and/or carry flashlights.
• Costumes should not restrict your movement or visibility. Ensure your costume fits properly and is not a tripping hazard.
• Makeup is a much safer alternative to wearing a mask. If wearing a mask, ensure good visibility.
• Stay in familiar neighbourhoods and travel with friends or family.
• Tampering of treats is rare, but children are reminded not to eat what they receive until inspected by an adult.
• Use sidewalks and be cautious when crossing roadways. Drivers and pedestrians can be easily distracted.
• Drivers, please slow down. Everyone needs to be extra cautious during this exciting time and be aware of children who may not always follow the rules of the road.
• Fireworks are illegal unless used with an approved permit. Visit applicable websites for more information on your area’s regulations.
— Comox Valley RCMP