STRATHCONA PROVINCIAL PARK'S Paradise Meadows is a popular summertime attraction for those who love the outdoors. Visitors this year have helped to set a new record for the number of reservations made at provincial campsites.

Local parks help set record number

BC Parks has set a new record this year for the number of reservations made at provincial campsites

BC Parks has set a new record this year for the number of reservations made at provincial campsites.

To date, more than 115,000 camping reservations have been made through Discover Camping, a reservation service. This marks a 12-per-cent increase, surpassing last year’s total of 100,000 reservations — the first time BC Parks reached six figures.

While it does not monitor campers, the volunteer-operated Strathcona Park Wilderness Centre at Paradise Meadows has assisted more than 5,000 visitors so far this year, about on track with last year, says co-ordinator Krista Kaptein. However, the actual number of people who use the Paradise Meadows area is two or three times higher.

“So we average about 100 per day that we assist,” Kaptein said.

The Comox District Mountaineering Club engages in backcountry hikes to destinations such as Comox Glacier as opposed to “front-entry camping,” says club president Bob St. John.

“We do a number of summer trips up into the Plateau,” he said. “It’s hard for me to judge how many other people have been up there. Some of these trails are fairly remote.”

Since 2010, he said TimberWest has clamped down on access to the glacier and southwestern reaches of Strathcona.

“It hasn’t stopped us because we went through the red tape, but it’s certainly cut down on the rest of the public getting in there,” St. John said.

While the Labour Day long weekend might signify the end of summer and the regular camping season, many BC Parks campgrounds remain open in September.

Senior camping discounts are available to people 65 and older from the day after Labour Day to June 14 of next year.

Those planning on camping in the coming weeks are asked to be aware of campfire bans, restrictions or closures.

www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/campfire_bans.html

 

Just Posted

Valley student’s passion project helping Cumberland forest

It took a little while for Frederica Blouin-Comeau to find her passion… Continue reading

Emailed bomb threat triggers heavy police presence at Comox Valley RV

Heavy police presence could be seen at Comox Valley RV on Ryan… Continue reading

Baby, it’s nasty outside: wind and rain will continue across Vancouver Island

Police warn drivers and pedestrians to use precaution during expected rain and winds

Help the Comox Valley RCMP ‘Cram the Cruiser’ with items for the food bank

RCMP will be onsite at the Real Canadian Superstore Saturday

Transit Rider Appreciation Day Friday in the Comox Valley

Transit riders in the Comox Valley are invited to enjoy some festive… Continue reading

UPDATE: B.C. businesses evacuated due to emailed bomb threat, also received in U.S.

Penticton and Comox Valley businesses evacuated Thursday morning

VIDEO: Kitten rescued from under school bus in Duncan

School staff have affectionately called kitten “Axle”

$12K awarded to atheist family who oppose Christmas, Hanukkah in B.C. classroom

Gary Mangel,May Yasue said holidays, Remembrance Day and Valentine’s Day not appropriate in preschool

Coach accused of sexual assault says apology letter was misinterpreted

Dave Brubaker has pleaded not guilty to one count of sexual assault and one count of invitation to sexual touching

Give the gift of nature this holiday season

Please don’t be mad, but I bought you a moose

Aboriginal poet faces backlash for calling out NHL-themed totem poles

Rebecca Thomas says she received backlash for asking a drugstore chain to remove NHL merchandise

No plans yet for free WiFi on BC Transit buses

BC Transit says they are monitoring the roll-out of free WiFi on Translink vehicles

Some Kotex tampons recalled in Canada and U.S.

In some cases, tampon users sought medical attention “to remove tampon pieces left in the body.”

Sex-assault squad investigated eight incidents at Toronto all-boys’ school

The interim president of a Roman Catholic all-boys school rocked by student-on-student abuse allegations said the football program was cancelled for next year.

Most Read