Newlyweds Tyler and Dallas Carriere were preparing for a home birth shortly before Christmas. Dallas is due Dec. 21.
Their plan was waylaid by a Saturday night fire at their house at 2144 Anderton Rd. in Comox.
“The place of origin was right in our cozy little living room,” said Tyler, who doused some of the flames from outside with a garden hose.
The fire, however, spread underneath the house, damaging trusses within the crawl space.
“By that time the whole house had been full of smoke for quite some time,” he said. “It was billowing from one end to the other. Everything is covered in soot and the ceilings are all black. It looks pretty awful.”
Tyler works full time at Becky’s Country Bakery, which is located at the same property. The couple had renovated the house Sept. 3, the day they were married. The last room to be refinished was the bedroom, where they had planned to house Dallas’ parents, who will soon return home after being overseas.
“We’re living in the new house and enjoying it,” Tyler said. “This fire just trashed everything. We don’t really have the finances between us right now to pay to get this fixed up and taken care of.”
The couple hopes a restoration company or building supply business might assist with repairs, which include painting, carpeting, tiling and sub-floor installation.
Tyler and Dallas also hope someone can lend an RV so they can live onsite.
Anyone wishing to assist can call 250-334-7019 or 250-703-6576.