Shakesides covered in graffiti

Comox resident saddened to see house in disrepair

Graffiti covers parts of the Mack Laing House in Comox. Scott Stanfield photo

Comox resident Barbara Martin is saddened to see graffiti covering parts of the Mack Laing House, also known as Shakesides. For over a year, she says there’s been an increasing amount of graffiti appearing on each side of the house, along with a failing roof, and doors and windows that show signs of attempted entries.

“Is this a training ground for the young and not-so-young graffiti artists of the area?” she states in a letter to Comox council and parks superintendent Al Fraser. “Many communities have active programs to discourage the proliferation of graffiti. It’s a sad commentary that while the Town ‘boasts many beautiful parks’ on its website, a home and property held in Trust by the Town of Comox can suffer such indignities.”

CAO Richard Kanigan said the Town was notified of a party near Shakesides during Family Day weekend on Feb. 11. Staff attended to the site the following day. The building had not been breached, but some graffiti was evident.

Staff returned Feb. 13 to replace a sheet of plywood — the front door of the house — that appeared to have been pulled back. Kanigan said staff returned Wednesday, March 7 and again replaced the plywood, which had sustained minor damage.

He said Fraser will attend to the graffiti issues when he returns to work next week.

Kanigan also notes area residents and users of the surrounding park area provide regular monitoring of Shakesides. There are also regular staff patrols of the park.

In 2016, council voted to disassemble Shakesides, and to use the site and some materials from the home to create a viewing platform, in conjunction with the existing walkway. In his will, Laing bequeathed to the Town belongings from his home, as well as $45,000, 25 per cent to be used for capital improvements. The other 75 per cent was to be invested by the Town. Income earned was to be applied to annual operating expenses of a natural history museum. Kanigan had said the latter does not appear to be possible or practical.

The Town, he added, has applied to the courts to modify the Mack Laing Trust to remove Shakesides, and to use trust funds to construct a viewing platform on the same location as the current foundation.

Just Posted

Film documents transformation of snowboarders, surfers

Former professional athletes forged deep ties with communities

Comox Valley Santa’s Workshop in need of bicycles for youngsters, gifts for teens

Santa’s Workshop, at 464 Puntledge Road (formerly the Red Cross building), is… Continue reading

Transitioning back into the world

Courtenay man had been living outdoors before starting Sally Ann program

A cuddle and a coffee: Six Island towns named among Canada’s most cozy

Sidney, Campbell River, Courtenay, Parksville, Tofino and Ucluelet crack Expedia’s top 40

1st Indigenous woman to start Canadian airline looks to B.C.’s remote regions

Teara Fraser is the first Indigenous woman in Canada to start her own airline, called Iskwew Air

Bankruptcies in British Columbia on the rise

Consumer bankruptcies climbed by 6. 1 per cent in August 2018 from the same month last year.

Mid Island Farmers Institute discusses fleece at November meeting

Are you a lover of wool and local fibre? Interested in raising… Continue reading

Comox Valley Nature invites the public to learn about nature photography

Comox Valley Nature is hosting a public lecture on photography. Join Terry… Continue reading

22 public toilets in Victoria: 136 people currently peeing

World Toilet Day floats some serious health issues

Calgary Stampeders back to Grey Cup with 22-14 win over Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Calgary was favoured to win the 2017 and 2016 Grey Cups, but lost to the Toronto Argonauts and Ottawa Redblacks respectively.

‘A giant step forward’: new $10 bill featuring Viola Desmond to enter circulation

A new $10 banknote featuring Viola Desmond’s portrait will go into circulation, just over 72 years after she was ousted from the whites-only section of a movie theatre in New Glasgow, N.S.

Searchers in California wildfire step up efforts; 77 dead

Trump arrived at the oceanside conclave Saturday afternoon after visiting Northern California to survey the wildfire damage in the town of Paradise.

Trump says ‘no reason’ for him to hear Khashoggi death tape

“It’s a suffering tape, it’s a terrible tape. I’ve been fully briefed on it, there’s no reason for me to hear it,” Trump said in the interview.

Most Read