One woman is dead and a child is in serious condition after suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a private campground in Salmon Arm Saturday morning.
B.C. RCMP Cpl. Chris Manseau confirmed to Black Press Media that the woman was found inside her tent at Sandy Point Camground.
Investigators have determined that poisoning is believed to be linked to a wood ash burning in a cooking pot on a stove as a source of heat for the pair through the night.
Emergency crews were called to the scene just after 10 a.m., where they found a group performing first aid on a youth.
BC Emergency Health Services confirmed that the child was taken by air ambulance to hospital at about noon.
Manseau said that the poisoning was localized to inside the tent, and other campers are not at risk.