ROBERTSON (nee: Beech)
August 4, 1924 –
July 2, 2009
Hazel was born into the pioneer Beech family of Grantham, to parents Elsie and Tom. The fifth of nine children, she lived her entire life in the Comox Valley. As a child she was surrounded by a large family, who lived in the Valley and Campbell River area. She loved visiting and going to social events such as dances with them. She received her schooling at Grantham, Merville, and Tsolum schools. She was proud of the fact that Tsolum and Grantham Schools were built on land once owned by her grandparents. After school she went to work as a housekeeper. In 1948 she married the boy next door, a handsome red-headed fellow named David Robertson. They were married for 53 years and raised three children.
Hazel was a devoted wife, mother and grandmother. She loved to cook, was a master gardener, be it vegetables or flowers. When Hazel and Dave retired, they travelled to many places, sometimes with a grandchild or two. Hazel enjoyed gambling, her favourite place to gamble was in Reno. Hazel was a member of many organizations such as Rebekahs, Pythian Sisters, and was a volunteer at the ECU St. Joseph’s Hospital.
In 2006, she moved to Eagle View after a stroke. She grew flowers in their gardens, loved Yahtzee and bingo. Just before she passed on she won the fishing derby that is held at Comox Lake. She was very proud of that.
Hazel was predeceased by her parents, her husband David, sister Phyllis, brothers Art and Oscar. She is survived by children: Art (Debbie), Eric (Joan), and Susan (Casey); sisters, Vera, Gladys, Kitty; and brothers, Fred and Tom; 10 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren.
A special thank you to the staff at Eagle View for caring for Hazel over the last three years and a special thank you to her friend and roommate Wilma McKenzie and all other friends who visited her.
In lieu of flowers donations greatly appreciated to the Heart & Stroke Foundation, Canadian Cancer Society or Canadian Diabetes Association.
A Visitation and Funeral Service has taken place at the Church of St. John the Divine, Courtenay.