Help stamp out hunger

Until April 28, stop by your Real Canadian Superstore or Extra Foods location and donate to the Extra Helping Spring National Food Drive.

Dear editor,

Until April 28, stop by your Real Canadian Superstore or Extra Foods location and donate to the Extra Helping Spring National Food Drive.

We are partnering with the Comox Valley Food Bank to help address hunger in our community.

Spring is a difficult time for food banks as they work to stock up for the summer. To help address this challenge, we ask customers to add a little extra to their shopping carts by donating non-perishable food items and funds at checkout.

In 2010 customers helped raised more than $1 million in funds and over 1.6 million pounds of food for food banks across the country. This year, with the community’s support and generosity, we hope to raise $1.2 million in funds and 1.2 million pounds of food.

One hundred per cent of food donated and 70 per cent of the cash donated in the Real Canadian Superstore and Extra Foods locations will go to the Comox Valley Food Bank, while the remaining 30 per cent of donated cash will support provincial food bank programs.

People can help make a difference in two ways: purchase or bring nutritious non-perishable food items and drop them into the Extra Helping food donation bin, or make a cash donation at the checkout.

According to the Comox Valley Food Bank, the most-needed non-perishable items include peanut butter, baby food, canned fruits and vegetables, canned fish or meat and beans. Other needed items include pasta and sauce, rice, whole grain cereals and

school snacks for children.

In our store, you will see the Extra Helping logo featured in a variety of aisles, which will help you quickly and easily identify the most needed items. The Extra Helping logo will also be featured on signs at store entrances, in-store displays, collection bins and at

checkout to encourage cash donations.

Monies and food donated during our Extra Helping Spring National Food Drive will go a long way to help those in need in our community.

Thank you again for your support and generosity, and let’s work together to make 2011 a success for our partner food bank, the Comox Valley Food Bank, and community.

Shawn Rondeau,

John Jerczynski

Editor’s note: Shawn Rondeau is the manager of the Comox Valley Real Canadian Superstore and John Jerczynski is an owner/manager of Extra Foods.