LETTER: PR opponent failed to realize the old system is responsible for current state of B.C. government

Dear editor,

In his letter denouncing proportional representation, George Dennis is apparently angry that “three MLAs can now, at their whim, send you to the polls anytime they please.” Ignoring the obvious fact that his beloved first past the post system is responsible for this, he instead raises the bogeyman that somehow, if we switch to PR, “there goes progress in BC.”

However, his example, claiming that the Site C dam would not have been approved if the Green Party had its fair proportion of seats, is incorrect and misleading, as Site C had the support of both the NDP and the Liberals.

More broadly, he also seems to think it acceptable that the opinions of 60 per cent of British Columbians can be ignored so that the other 40 per cent can “get things done.”

I disagree.

I will be voting for a better system.

Michael Hilland,

Black Creek

Do you have an opinion you’d like to share? Email letters@comoxvalleyrecord.com

Just Posted

RCMP looking for information as thrift store fire investigation continues

Too Good To Be Threw suffered extensive damage after a late night fire on Sunday

Commen-Terry: Helping Hands to benefit flood victims

Fundraising concert Feb. 7 in Courtenay for those affected by Mariner Apartment flood

Home care complaints up 45% on Vancouver Island

Number of home care hours delivered down 6%, complaints up 45 %

K’ómoks First Nation re-elects Chief Rempel

Chief Rempel re-elected for her second term; three new Councillors elected

Comox council allocates $20,000 for dog park consultation

With interim measures in place, Comox council has decided to proceed with… Continue reading

New Canada Food Guide nixes portion sizes, promotes plant-based proteins

Guide no longer lists milk and dairy products as a distinct food group

YANA Online Auction runs until Feb. 8

Items include four pairs of tickets to sold-out Big Love Dinner

North Island College Activity Assistant program returns

Learn more at a free information session Feb. 9 - pre-registration required

B.C. Green leader calls for long-term legislature financial audit

Andrew Weaver says trust in clerk and sergeant at arms is gone

No charges in fatal police Taser incident in Chilliwack

RCMP watchdog concludes no evidence of excessive or disproportionate force was used by officers

Police watchdog probe ‘intoxicated’ man injured in Port Hardy RCMP custody

Police responded to a house on Jan. 15 and arrested a man

Here’s what the B.C. legislature officers are accused of buying with tax payers’ money

Personal trips, purchases, alcohol and more laid out in 76-page report by Plecas

Alberta youth charged over theft of $17,000 in snow equipment at B.C. ski resort

Alberta RCMP recovered $17,000 in skis/snowboards believed stolen from Fernie Alpine Resort Saturday

China demands U.S. drop Huawei extradition request with Canada

Hua said China demands that the U.S. withdraw the arrest warrant against Meng Wanzhou

Most Read