Crown Isle Resort and Golf Community made the top 20 list of The PGA of British Columbia’s inaugural rankings for golf courses across the province, coming in at 18th spot.
Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club in Vancouver came in at No. 1 while Storey Creek in Campbell River was No. 10 on the list, which was released on Aug. 30. In the list of regional medallists, Storey Creek got the platinum award for Vancouver Island while Crown Isle took gold and Bear Mountain silver. Bronze honours went to Cordova Bay, Morningstar, Olympic View and Nanaimo.
PGA of British Columbia members were polled both online and via telephone to make their choices for the top three facilities in the province, the top course in their region and a hidden gem anywhere in the province.
Over the six-week polling period, more than one-third of the association’s 650-plus members responded. From these results using weighted rankings, three groups of deserving facilities were identified:
• B.C.’s Top Twenty Courses
• B.C.’s Top Regional Facilities (the top ranked public-access courses from each of five regions across the province)
• B.C.’s Top Ten Hidden Gems
In all, 50 of the most noteworthy facilities across B.C. are included on these three lists.
Says Association executive director Donald Miyazaki, “With PGA members being both competitive players on, and instructors at, all of the top courses across B.C., it was a natural fit to poll our membership to find their selections.
“Overall almost 100 courses received multiple votes and that just goes to show the depth of the quality of the province’s courses. Congratulations must go to the deserving facilities who made the three lists. We are sure that these selections will elicit a fair amount of dialogue.”
The ranking is a partnership between the PGA of BC and Inside Golf Magazine. Inside Golf Inc. (publishers of Inside Golf Magazine, Canadian Golf Traveller and www.insidegolf.ca) managed the survey and contacted all facilities across the province and then tabulated the results.
The top 20, with location, course architect and year of opening listed after the course name, were:
1. Shaughnessy Golf & Country Club (Vancouver / AV Macan; 1960)
2. Capilano G&CC (West Vancouver / Stanley Thompson; 1937)
3. Victoria GC (Victoria / possibly Harvey Combe; 1893)
4. Big Sky G&CC (Pemberton / Robert Cupp; 1995)
5. Royal Colwood GC (Victoria / AV Macan; 1913)
6. Tobiano (Kamloops / Thomas McBroom; 2007)
7. Predator Ridge GR / Ridge Course (Vernon / Doug Carrick; 2010)
8. Vancouver GC (Coquitlam / Alex Duthie / H.T. Gardner; 1911)
9. Talking Rock Golf Course (Chase / Cooke-Carleton; 2007)
10. Storey Creek (Campbell River / Les Furber; 1989)
11. Greywolf GC (Panorama / Doug Carrick; 1999)
12. Rivershore Golf Club (Kamloops / Robert Trent Jone Sr. / 1981)
13. Fairview Mountain GC (Oliver / Les Furber; 1926)
14. Tower Ranch GC (Kelowna / Thomas McBroom; 2008)
15. Marine Drive GC (Vancouver AV Macan; 1922)
16. Morgan Creek GC (South Surrey / Thomas McBroom; 1995)
17. Gallaghers Canyon G&CC (Kelowna / Bill Robinson; 1980)
18. Crown Isle Resort & Golf Community (Courtenay (Graham Cooke; 1992)
19. Kelowna G&CC (Kelowna / AV Macan; 1920)
20. Fairmont Chateau Whistler GC (Whistler / Robert Trent Jones Jr.; 1993).
– PGA of B.C.