The Canadian Transplant Games are not focused on elite athletic performance. They’re all about the pure joy of being healthy enough to participate.
It’s about meeting other transplant recipients and the camaraderie and friendship that develop from that common bond. The Games are Canada’s largest organ donation awareness event. The goals of the Canadian Transplant Games are to:
• show the country the life that is possible for organ recipients
• encourage an active, healthy lifestyle after transplant
• raise public awareness and support for organ donation
• honour organ and tissue donors and donor families
• give hope to the 4,000-plus Canadians on transplant waiting lists.
The Canadian Transplant Association (CTA) will celebrate its 25th anniversary in 2012 and the Games will immediately follow Calgary’s (100th) Centennial Stampede (July 6–15).
So, you can expect the 6th Canadian Transplant Games to be among our most exciting yet! We will be hosting athletic competition in all age categories for track & field athletics, swimming, tennis, table tennis, badminton, speed walking, 5-pin & 10-pin bowling, lawn bowl, golf, cycling and more including group events like volleyball and the very popular East-versus-West Canada Cup.
Athletes and their supporters will enjoy the excellent accommodations of the Hotel Alma/Residence complex at the University of Calgary which will serve as the Athlete’s Village and participants will have access to several sport/recreation facilities on campus.
– Canadian Transplant Association