“For the Lord is good and His love endures forever: His faithfulness continues through all generations” Psalm 100:5.
Plans are underway for the 40th-anniversary celebrations at Comox Community Baptist Church.
There will be a re-dedication service on Saturday, Feb. 1, marking 40 years since Rev. Don Martin originally established the church.
• The Rev. Don Martin, a retired military chaplain, established Comox Baptist Church on Feb. 10, 1980. Members initially met in the Pythian Hall in Comox. Land at Anderton Road and Daye Road was purchased and cleared, and a wood-framed church was put up and dedicated on Nov. 25, 1984.
• The Rev. Murray Pura, and an interim pastor, Greg Slade, ministered from 1989-1994 and during this time the church was renamed to Comox Community Baptist Church.
• The Rev. George Sears pastored from 1995-1999.
• Pastor Drew Westergaard ministered from 1999-2005. A thriving AWANA ministry was begun for children and a community playground was installed on land adjacent to the church.
• Rev. Norm Sowden and Rev. Peter Hudson provided interim pastoral ministry until Rev. William (Bill) Hall was called in 2007. An outdoor elevator was added to the building making it more easily accessible.
• In 2013 Rev. Clark Gietz began his ministry after the retirement of Pastor Bill in 2012. Outreach into the community continues through the Alpha introduction to Christianity program.
Join the celebration
Comox Community Baptist Church invites the public to join with the congregation in a celebration involving praise and thanksgiving, sharing memories and testimonies to God’s faithfulness, and enjoying food and fellowship together. Rev. Loralyn Lind will be the guest speaker, sharing God’s word from Psalm 100, and guest worship leaders will be Rick and Lynette Guthrie.
The 40th-anniversary celebrations will take place at a re-dedication service on Saturday Feb. 1, 2020, from 2-4 p.m. with light refreshments, and also at the communion service on Sunday, Feb. 2, 2020, from 10:30-noon, followed by a luncheon catered by Plates Catering. Both services will be held at Comox Community Baptist Church, 1250 Anderton Road, Comox. For more information visit comoxbaptist.com, email email@example.com or call the church office at 250- 339-0224. Please note an RSVP is required to attend the Sunday luncheon by Thursday, Jan. 30, to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-337-8041.