Submitted to The Record
One hundred years ago, in January of 1915, St. John the Divine first opened its doors.
On Wednesday, June 10, the Parish of St. John the Divine, Courtenay, held a Centennial Celebration. It was a truly joyful celebration. The congregation and their guests were greeted with festive balloons at the door, music from the choir loft upon entry and then a brief interlude of piano music by Dagmar Killan before the service began.
Bishop Logan McMenamie welcomed all, adding a welcome in three of the local First Nations languages, acknowledging our status as settlers on their hereditary land. His introduction and later his sermon and the delightful rhymes he taught emphasized the theme of glory, gratitude and praise.
Father Anthony Divinagracia, assisted in the service.
Many members of the Anglican clergy, both active and retired, from Victoria to Port Hardy and many points in between, came for the celebration.
The congregation was honoured by the presence of ministers from other Christian churches in the Comox Valley and special guests, friends and well-wishers from the community, including Comox Mayor Paul Ives.
Many found it inspiring to be part of such enthusiastic singing and responses, especially the final rendition of To God Be the Glory.
During the communion, Marcia Haley sang a solo accompanied by Peter Walker on the grand piano, which was recently donated by a generous parishioner.
Following the service about 120 guests and parishioners gathered in the hall for a wonderful meal.
Greetings and good wishes were expressed from the guest table by Courtenay Mayor Larry Jangula, former Courtenay Mayor and chairperson of Courtenay Centennial Committee, Ron Webber, former Courtenay Fire Department Chief and historian Lawrence Burns, and Judy Hagen, writer and community historian.
The cakes were cut and served as the assembly ended the celebration with a rendition of Happy Birthday St. John the Divine.