Snowflakes are starting to appear, carols are popping up on the radio, the holidays are right around the corner — and with that comes Jon and Roy’s fifth annual Holiday Special.
After four successful years of sold-out shows at Victoria’s Alix Goolden Hall and Vancouver’s Vogue Theatre, the band will bring the revue to Courtenay’s Sid Williams Theatre on Dec. 14 for the first time.
This year’s lineup features CBC Radio 2 Drive’s Rich Terfry (aka Buck 65), Horse Feathers, Mother Mother’s Ryan Guldemond with guests, and Scott Stanson and David Lang of Current Swell.
• Victoria folk-roots rockers Jon and Roy have been busy on the road since the June 2012 release of their fourth album. The group toured with CBC’s Stuart McLean Vinyl Café and toured Western Canada with fellow Victorians Current Swell. They took home the 2013 Western Canadian Music Award for the Best Roots Group.
• Richard Terfry, better known by his stage name Buck 65, is a Canadian alternative hip-hop artist. Underpinned by an extensive background in abstract hip-hop, his more recent music has extensively incorporated blues, country, rock, folk and avant-garde influences. Terfry is also a radio host, hosting the weekday Radio 2 Drive show on CBC Radio 2 since September 2008.
• An indie folk band from Portland, Ore., Horse Feathers consists of singer/songwriter Justin Ringle (acoustic guitar, vocals, percussion) and a rotating cast of supporting musicians, including multi-instrumentalist Peter Broderick and several string players.
• Ryan Guldemond is the lead singer of Vancouver indie darlings Mother Mother, a five-piece Canadian band originally from Quadra Island.
• Dave Lang and Scott Stanton of Current Swell will perform an acoustic duo set with songs from Current Swell’s past catalog and some new songs from their upcoming album. In the foreground of the “new roots” music front pushing out of Canada‘s west coast. Their sound continues to develop into a blues and roots feel, gaining even more popularity with their fans.
The Sid Williams Theatre show begins Dec. 14 with doors opening at 7 p.m. Tickets are available at the Sid box office by phoning 1-866-898-TIXX (8499) and at www.sidwilliamstheatre.com/tickets.
— Jon & Roy