The producers of the Vancouver Island Music Awards are putting a call out to Island musicians for music they’ve released in 2010 or 2011 to be considered for nomination in the 2012 awards.
The award ceremony will be held April 21 in Victoria at a venue yet to be announced.
This will be the eighth installment of the event. Musicians can find all details on what and how to submit at http://www.islandmusicawards.com. The deadline is Dec. 31.
The 2011 gala event was held at the Sid Williams Theatre in Courtenay. Courtenay’s Helen Austin was named the 2011 Artist of the Year, and the Irish Rovers were honored with the Island Classic Award to recognize their 46-year run in the music industry — the past 20 of which as Vancouver Island-based artists.
All other 2011 winners can be found on the website.
The VIMA website states that, “The goal of the Vancouver Island Music Awards is to:
1) Celebrate the Vancouver Island music scene;
2) Build awareness of this scene among the general public on the island and across Canada;
3) Provide a networking opportunity between artists and music industry representatives;
4) Acknowledge and reward excellence in the artistry and work ethic of Island artists;
5) Empower and encourage Island artists to pursue their musical dreams;
6) Set a positive and professional example for youth (and the young at heart!) who are pursuing a career in music.
— Vancouver Island Music Awards