Eduardo Uranga has filed his nomination papers with the Village of Cumberland for the position of mayor. Here is his platform:
As a mayor of Cumberland, I will provide leadership to the council by recommending bylaws, resolutions and other measures that may assist the peace, order and good government of the Village of Cumberland, I will communicate information to the council to facilitate sound decisions, I will provide general direction to municipal officers respecting implementation of municipal policies, programs and other directions of the council, always reflecting the will of council.
I will promote the required changes to evolve into a municipal administration that consolidates the needs of a diverse population, considering all demographic profiles, including the very young and the very old, guided by the “general will” of the people which would then produce what is best for the people. This approach emphasizes the networked aspects of society and highlights respect and compassion for others, especially those who are more vulnerable. The secret of change is to focus all our energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new, figuring out what is needed and then figure out how to attain it. All decisions must be sustainable, solutions will not prevent future generations to take care of their needs and will be based on science, technology, engineering and mathematics. I pledge to always follow the ethical decision-making process, all decisions must be ethical, we will do the right thing.
I will be committed to work on behalf of all residents of Cumberland, not just the people that voted for me. I will always take the direction indicated by the majority, after the priorities are established by consent of the community in the form of a referendum for major decisions and surveys when opinions are appropriate. We are a small community, we should be able to work together to create a great present with a sustainable future. Somebody once said: “Government is simply the name we give to things we choose to do together.”
Municipal issues that require attention from the mayor:
• Compliance with the Ministry of Environment’s Sewer discharge regulations
• Drinking water quality assurance
• Storm water separation
• Old clay sewer pipes replacement
• Air quality remediation
• Affordable day care
• Assisted living for the elderly
• Affordable housing development
• Business development focusing on outdoor activities tourism
• Youth training programs to promote permanence in Cumberland by providing employment
• Municipal carbon-neutrality from locally produced carbon credits
• Community-owned renewable energy project
• Zero-waste full service co-op food store
• Park & Ride for mountain bikers at the entrance to the village
• Tourist accommodation in the Village
• District heating for downtown core and municipal buildings
• Perseverance Creek stewardship implementation
My education, experience, personal qualities and capabilities will become an asset, I will continue to challenge myself and motivate municipal staff for professional evolution and personal growth, based on the principle of sustainability and social responsibility while maintaining a high level of service to the residents. Contact me with your wishlist (250-898-4874, email firstname.lastname@example.org), we can work together on it.