Ian Hargreaves is seeking a second term as school trustee for Comox Valley Schools (SD71) representing Area C of the Comox Valley Regional District.
Ian has lived and taught in the Comox Valley for 36 years, primarily at Ecole Puntledge Park, and Miracle Beach Elementary.
Before coming to the Valley, Ian worked in the private sector, developing and managing programs for multiply handicapped children and adults.
Ian came to the district as a special education specialist, and participated in the district’s integration of special needs students.
As vice-chair of the board for the last two years and as chair of the Facilities Committee and the Education Committee, Ian has provided strong leadership to the district advocating, supporting and working on leading change through funding protection into a time of increased enrolment, to implement new district policies and initiatives including:
• Moving towards site-based-decision-making that allows each school to involve parents/guardians, students, staff and community to set priorities and determine how best to support students’ needs;
• Increased community engagement – working with all educational partners, students and the broader community;
• Improved communications between the district, board and its partner groups.
• Implementation of a robust communication strategy that ensures the board is transparent in its decision-making role and processes;
• Increased student leadership and student voice.
Ian also served on the Finance, Transportation, Calendar, District Mentorship, and Indigenous Education committees, the Student Round Table and represented the board on the Comox Valley Sports Centre Commission, the British Columbia School Trustees Association Provincial Council and was elected secretary of the Vancouver Island School Trustees Association.
Ian is an advocate for ensuring that all students and staff have a safe, positive learning environment, and that students, teachers and schools have the necessary tools and resources to support the learning needs of all students.
Ian values parent voice in public education and has found his regular attendance at Parent Advisory Councils and District Parent Advisory Council meetings to be a rich source of information and insight.
Ian has a deep, abiding passion for education.
“The positive changes to public education that have come with new funding, and reinstatement of the collective agreement have helped the district accomplish its strategic priorities.
“I am eager to continue the work we’ve started, and to build and grow our district further.”
Ian welcomes your support.
FMI: 250-703-1228 or firstname.lastname@example.org