Comox Fire Rescue personnel attend to a shed fire on Canso Road Wednesday, Nov. 28. Photo supplied.

Comox Fire Rescue personnel attend to a shed fire on Canso Road Wednesday, Nov. 28. Photo supplied.

Comox Fire Rescue knocks down shed fire on Canso Road

An alert neighbour is being credited after Comox Fire Rescue responded to a shed fire on Canso Road Wednesday morning.

“A neighbour put the call in, saying she could see smoke coming from this shed here,” said Comox Fire Rescue Chief Gord Schreiner, at the scene. “When we arrived the shed had a pretty good smouldering fire going inside. Just as I arrived the windows were starting to break and the flames were starting to show. Fortunately, our rapid intervention vehicle was on the scene very quickly and we were able to knock it down before it extended anywhere else.

“Right now it’s basically a contents fire, but if it turns into a structure fire it gets a lot bigger. then if it extends to the other structures around it, the other sheds, the home itself … keeping it small is a good thing.”

Schreiner said the shed contained typical gardening equipment and the primary investigation suggests a baseboard heater might have been the catalyst for the fire.

“There were some fertilizers and some gasoline in there, so it could have been much [more serious] had we not gotten it put out as quickly as we did,” added Schreiner.

The owners of the property were not home at the time of the fire.



terry.farrell@blackpress.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter