The Comox Valley Regional District (CVRD) board of directors has adopted the 2014 budget.
The approved document includes a total consolidated budget of $67.1 million (a net operating budget for the year of $54.2 million).
The consolidated budget includes three funds: general, water and sewer. The 2014 budget reflects major projects underway in various services in all of the funds.
Project details follow, with the amounts that are budgeted.
• Phase one of the closure activities at the Campbell River waste management centre — $3.9 million;
• New landfill expansion activities at the Comox Valley waste management centre — $750,000;
• Denman Island cross-island trail — $180,000;
• South sewer project: electoral area Community Works Funds for treatment plant and collection system to address failing septic systems in the core areas of Union Bay and Royston, and wastewater treatment issues in Cumberland.
• Business case development, environmental assessment and project planning for the south sewer project — $2.1 million;
• Regional water supply infrastructure projects and deep-water intake work — $1.1 million;
• Black Creek/Oyster Bay UV project and Kelland Road reservoir — $1.1 million;
• Sewer infrastructure projects include dewatering upgrades at treatment plant, Docliddle pump station and forcemain projects and start of compost facility expansion — $1.9 million.
These are in addition to the regular services provided by the CVRD that include land-use planning, fire protection, building inspection, drinking water treatment and supply, operation of the landfills in the Comox Valley and Campbell River and recreation facilities.
The 2014 strategic priorities can be found at www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/assets/Governance/Documents/CVRD_Strategic_Priorities_EMT.pdf.
The 2014 financial plan expenditures can be summarized:
General operations budget — $41.5 million;
Member municipal debt transfers — $3.1 million;
Annual debt charges — $5.3 million;
Reserve contributions — $4.3 million;
Net operating budget — $54.2 million;
Capital budget — $12.9 million;
Total CVRD consolidated 2014 budget — $67.1 million.
For more information on taxation (requisition) by jurisdiction or a particular service budget go to www.comoxvalleyrd.ca, and click on “finance” and then “current financial plan.”
— Comox Valley Regional District