A senior was able to get out of her residence Tuesday morning in Courtenay with assistance from firefighters following an initial call of a structure fire with someone trapped inside.
Courtenay Fire Chief Don Bardonnex said upon arrival to the unit at 255 Anderton Ave., firefighters assisted a woman with limited mobility as she could not get herself out of her home.
“We arrived, and extricated her out of the building and got her safe and warm. It turns out it was a pot on the stove causing all the smoke.”
He added there was no fire damage to the unit and firefighters used fans to blow the smoke out of her residence.
“Understandably, she’s quite upset with no idea where the smoke was coming from and couldn’t get out,” he noted.
With the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Bardonnex said traffic has lessened around the city, and it’s been his experience that it has been easier to respond to calls, and easier for his crews to get to the station.
Additionally, he noted firefighters have full protection with personal protective equipment and will not change their response when called upon.
“We deal with anyone with the public – that’s the way we go.”