Courtenay in line for another police officer

City council approves in principle a contract request from Comox Valley RCMP

Courtenay council has approved in principle a contract request from the police that includes the addition of one officer as of next April and a budget exceeding $5.5 million.

The City is responsible for 90 per cent of the budget, or more than $4.8 million — an increase of $36,880. The remaining 10 per cent is provided by the federal government.

An additional officer would increase Courtenay’s share of 2014/15 contract costs by about $120,230. The total tax increase is about .9 per cent, and would generate tax revenue of $157,110, according to a report from financial services director Tillie Manthey.

“It is doable from a financial perspective,” Manthey said at Monday’s meeting. She notes the City funds two officers from gaming revenue and two from traffic fines.

The benchmark is one officer for every 750 persons.

Statistics from 2011 indicate Courtenay’s population of slightly fewer than 25,000 was served by 30 police officers — one for every 832 persons. The provincial average was 759 persons.

The per-capita was $220, slightly more than the provincial average of $217.

The Comox Valley RCMP detachment is a combined provincial/municipal detachment operating from the Ryan Road facility. An additional police officer would increase Courtenay’s membership to 31.4.

• • •

Council approved a motion from Ronna-Rae Leonard to apply for a B.C. Healthy Communities Grant and to request LUSH (Let Us Share the Harvest) Comox Valley to undertake the project on the City’s behalf.

The plan is to hold roundtable meetings in September to develop a complete food system.

The non-profit LUSH Valley focusses on food security, and supports projects to educate and empower people towards personal wellness, community health and environmental stewardship.

• • •

Lewis Bartholomew, founder/director of The Alberni Project (TAP), has offered to volunteer his services to head a celebration for war veterans next June 6, marking the 70th anniversary of D-Day and the sinking of the HMCS Alberni.

Bartholomew asked council to designate 2014 the Year of the Veteran in the Comox Valley.

He hopes a downtown business will offer an empty storefront as a base, and to showcase the displays of TAP and Veterans Affairs Canada for the entire year.

 

“I think we should be receptive,” said Coun. Jon Ambler, noting 2014 also marks the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War.

 

 

Just Posted

Comox Valley ground SAR team cautiously pleased with provincial funding announcement

Following a funding boost last weekend of $18.6-million by the province for… Continue reading

Cumberland community services funding approved; UROC concerned about trail maintenance cost

Cumberland Community Schools Society, Cumberland Events Society and United Riders of Cumberland will each receive funding

Cumberland to ban single-use plastic bags and straws starting this summer

Single-use item regulation bylaw received first, second and third reading at Monday’s council meeting

Initiative strengthens role of nature in protecting drinking water

Several communities in the Comox Valley and the K’ómoks First Nation launched… Continue reading

Surrendered Comox Valley cats nearing adoption through SPCA

Thanks to the support from staff, volunteers and the community, more than… Continue reading

VIDEO: 13-year-old killed in B.C. crash that involved five kids

The children range in age from six to 17.

MPs denounce leaked reports of Trudeau-JWR clash over Supreme Court pick

Opposition MPs called the leaks an act of desperation meant to smear Wilson-Raybould

Study says B.C.’s housing policies mean drug users can be targeted for eviction

The study involves 50 people living in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside

VIDEO: Homicide team called in after three killed in Surrey car crash

Investigators ask public to come forward with information, dashcam video

Stranger climbs onto B.C. family’s second-floor balcony, lights fire in barbecue

Incident in Abbotsford terrifies family with two-year-old boy

UPDATED: Sailings resume after BC Ferries boat hits Langdale terminal

The Queen of Surrey is stuck on the dock, causing delays to Horseshoe Bay trips

Coroner’s inquest announced for Victoria teen’s overdose death

Elliot Eurchuk was 16 years old when he died of an opioid overdose at his Oak Bay home

Vancouver Island home to B.C.’s luckiest lotto store

Five million-dollar winners have bought tickets from same Port Alberni corner store

B.C. MLAs call for no caps, no boundaries for ride hailing drivers

Minister Claire Trevena says Class 4 licence requirement will stay

Most Read