Courtenay would be included in rail service under tentative agreement

NANAIMO — A tentative deal between Southern Railway and Via Rail could see the return of rail passenger service to Vancouver Island.

NANAIMO — A tentative deal between Southern Railway and Via Rail could see the return of rail passenger service to Vancouver Island.

The new deal, announced Wednesday at a press conference, would allow the Island Corridor Foundation and Southern Railway to access more than $20 million in funding for track and bridge improvements through the partnership of federal, provincial and regional governments, according to foundation co-chairwoman Mary Ashley.

Freight and train operations will be based out of Nanaimo and will run as far north as Courtenay and south as Victoria, including an early-morning route to the provincial capital.

The schedule will have to go through some adjustments, however, and there is no set date for when everything will be up and running, said Ashley.

“There’s much work to do before the passenger train whistle blows again,” said Ashley. “The agreement is to be ratified by the three respective boards, funding agreements will be signed off, tendering and awarding of bids will proceed and there will be approximately nine months of track work.”

The foundation has stated that it would cost more than $100 million for repairs.

Island Corridor Foundation chief executive officer Graham Bruce said the repairs will come incrementally over the next few years.

“The report of 2009-10, from the Ministry of Transportation, looked at an initial report that had been done and came back and said that there was no way anyone was going to put $110 million into the railway,” Bruce said. “If we approached it on an incremental basis, there was a plan that could be developed and that’s what we developed with Southern Rail, to bring passenger rail back.

“So that gives us 10 years of operation and allows the rail company to expand out on other types of operations. There’s different examples that have been spoken about and how that might occur.

“Each one of them would have their own package, depending where they were running, of other infrastructure improvements and dollars would be found to look after that.”

Regional District of Nanaimo directors voted recently to withhold about $945,000 in funding to the foundation until passenger service returns to the Island and according to regional district chairman Joe Stanhope, while the announcement is good news, the funding will not be released yet.

“I still think there’s another bridge to cross and that is the infrastructure deficit is well over $20 million,” Stanhope said.

Passenger rail was discontinued in spring 2011 due to unsafe track conditions.

According to Nanaimo Mayor John Ruttan, also a regional district director, $20 million is not enough to get everything fully operational, but it’s a good start.

“While we didn’t get all the money we wanted, $20 million will be enough to start the service and hopefully, as the passenger traffic grows and the freight traffic grows, that will enable the governments to look at a bigger investment, once the business case is built by actually running the train,” Ruttan said.

 

Just Posted

Valley student’s passion project helping Cumberland forest

It took a little while for Frederica Blouin-Comeau to find her passion… Continue reading

Emailed bomb threat triggers heavy police presence at Comox Valley RV

Heavy police presence could be seen at Comox Valley RV on Ryan… Continue reading

Baby, it’s nasty outside: wind and rain will continue across Vancouver Island

Police warn drivers and pedestrians to use precaution during expected rain and winds

Help the Comox Valley RCMP ‘Cram the Cruiser’ with items for the food bank

RCMP will be onsite at the Real Canadian Superstore Saturday

Transit Rider Appreciation Day Friday in the Comox Valley

Transit riders in the Comox Valley are invited to enjoy some festive… Continue reading

UPDATE: B.C. businesses evacuated due to emailed bomb threat, also received in U.S.

Penticton and Comox Valley businesses evacuated Thursday morning

$12K awarded to atheist family who oppose Christmas, Hanukkah in B.C. classroom

Gary Mangel,May Yasue said holidays, Remembrance Day and Valentine’s Day not appropriate in preschool

Coach accused of sexual assault says apology letter was misinterpreted

Dave Brubaker has pleaded not guilty to one count of sexual assault and one count of invitation to sexual touching

Give the gift of nature this holiday season

Please don’t be mad, but I bought you a moose

Aboriginal poet faces backlash for calling out NHL-themed totem poles

Rebecca Thomas says she received backlash for asking a drugstore chain to remove NHL merchandise

No plans yet for free WiFi on BC Transit buses

BC Transit says they are monitoring the roll-out of free WiFi on Translink vehicles

Some Kotex tampons recalled in Canada and U.S.

In some cases, tampon users sought medical attention “to remove tampon pieces left in the body.”

Sex-assault squad investigated eight incidents at Toronto all-boys’ school

The interim president of a Roman Catholic all-boys school rocked by student-on-student abuse allegations said the football program was cancelled for next year.

Coal power in Canada must disappear by the end of 2029, new regulations say

Canada has significantly cut its dependence on coal largely due to the closure of all coal plants in Ontario.

Most Read