Cumberland has a new solid waste collection contractor, as of March 30.
Emterra Environmental, a Canadian company, has Cumberland-based operations and will be collecting household waste for the Village.
As part of the contract between Emterra Environmental and the Village, collection day will switch from Wednesdays to Mondays as of March 30, 2020. The Village posted the update to service on its website.
Unlimited recycling and unlimited organics/yard waste will be collected from single family residences in Cumberland.
Recycle BC has a PDF brochure that can be printed onliny covering what can go in and what can’t go in a container. Residents are reminded that glass may not be recycled through curbside collection in the Comox Valley.
Curbside organics containers can accept:
- Yard waste
- Meats, poultry and bones (cooked or uncooked)
- Fish and shellfish (cooked or uncooked)
- Grains and pasta, including bread, cereals, pizza, pastries and rice
- Dairy products, including cheese, yogurt, sour cream, butter, mayonnaise
- Eggs and shells
- Fruit and vegetable scraps
- Plate scrapings and food leftovers
- Food-soiled paper and cardboard
- Coffee filters, grounds and tea bags
What is not accepted in a curbside container:
- Plastic, even if labeled biodegradable or compostable
- Coffee cups and lids
- Meat trays or other Styrofoam
- Fruit stickers, bread clips or ties
- Metal, rubber or glass
- Diapers or baby wipes
- Pet waste or kitty litter
- Dental floss, cotton swabs or balls
- Dryer sheets or lint
- Vacuum contents or bags
- Cigarettes and butts
If you missed collection or need more information, please contact Emterra at 250-336-8066.