An Oyster River volunteer firefighter douses the smouldering beams of a fire-gutted home on Fearon Road. The family of four and their dog escaped in the nick of time early Monday morning.

Oyster River family escapes blaze

Strong winds fuelled the blaze which gutted the interior of the home

The screams of a terrified six-year-old awoke a family of four who escaped a fire which destroyed their Oyster River home early Monday morning.

“It’s sad, but they’re a very lucky family,” said Chief Neils Holbeck of the Oyster River Volunteer Fire Department. “I’d say they got out in the nick of time.”

Lyle Johnson, Kelly Bouzanne and their two boys, Dylan, 14, and Bobbi, 6, escaped virtually unharmed, but the blaze gutted their two-storey home located at 2259 Fearon Rd., and they have no insurance.

“They lost everything,” said Tracey Robertson, a family friend.

It was around 3:30 a.m. when fire started in Bobbi’s bedroom on the ground floor; Holbeck suspects a faulty electric baseboard heater was the cause.

With the flames growing, Bobbi woke up first and it was his screams which alerted the rest of the family.

According to Robertson, the back of Bobbi’s hair was singed as he ran up the stairs towards his parents’ bedroom.

By that time, all were awake and were able to safely flee the burning home along with the family dog.

“It was fully involved when we arrived with flames coming out the back of the house,” said Holbeck.

Strong winds fuelled the blaze which – in spite of the best efforts of firefighters – gutted the interior of the home, destroying irreplaceable family photographs and a computer with most of their business information.

“We dumped a lot of water on it – there were some real stubborn spots,” the chief noted.

The intense heat, combined with the wind, caused concern the fire would spread to the neighbour’s house, but the blaze was contained to the one home.

However, the front of Johnson’s pickup truck, which he uses to run Clean Sweep Chimneys, was melted by the heat.

The main crew of volunteer firefighters was on scene for three-and-a-half hours, but a few others were there until noon.

However, late in the afternoon, the chief and a few others returned to douse smouldering beams supporting the roof.

Friends and neighbours were there too to support the devastated family. They hugged and reassured them they will help in any way.

“We’ve already got a burgundy leather couch donated. We’re getting coats and shoes for them, whatever they need,” said Robertson, as another woman showed up to say she’s going to solicit help from other neighbours.

Emergency Support Services will provide the family with a hotel room and money for food and clothing for 72 hours. After that, they may also receive assistance from Red Cross, but Robertson said they will need financial help to pay the bills.

“They’re a hard-working family and they did so much on their own on the house and the yard…last year Kelly went out and collected bottles for a cancer fundraiser we were holding…they need our help now,” she said.

From the front, the house looks okay – the decorative silver stars are still hanging from the top of the porch cover.

However, a quick walk to the side and the back fully reveals the extent of the damage – the entire house and timbers are black and charred.

As firefighters doused the smouldering beams, Bouzanne walked over from the  neighbour’s home, forced herself to look inside and then quickly looked away as she let out a gentle sob and the tears began to fall again.

  • Robertson is hoping to set up a registered trust fund to help support the family. Watch the Campbell River Mirror and www.campbellrivermirror.com for updates on this story.

 

paulr@campbellrivermirror.com

Just Posted

VIDEO: Comox’s waving granny gets incredible send-off from Highland Secondary students

Tinney Davidson has been waving at kids on their way to school for over 11 years, but is moving in a month

Island-born Snowbirds pilot enjoying homecoming in skies over Comox

Logan Reid once stood clinging onto the fence outside the Comox Air… Continue reading

Comox Valley Schools board chair addresses RCMP investigation into assault of student

Comox Valley Schools (School District 71) board of education chair, Janice Caton,… Continue reading

Tom Cochrane and Red Rider coming to Vancouver Island MusicFest

Executive producer Doug Cox has landed Canadian Music Hall of Famer Tom… Continue reading

Comox Valley RCMP seeking witnesses of attack on student in Courtenay

A Comox Valley mother said “it was way more than bullying” at… Continue reading

VIDEO: Killer whales hunt for seals in Vancouver harbour

Bigg’s killer whales feed on marine mammals like seals, sea lions, dolphins and even other whales

Shutterbugs submit their favourite Snowbirds pics

The Canadian Forces Snowbirds are in Comox for their annual spring training… Continue reading

Struggling B.C. adoption agency elects new board that intends to keep it open

The previous board announced that Choices would close May 31

Vancouver man, 19, charged in human trafficking case involving teen girl

The 16-year-old girl was reported missing and later discovered in Vancouver

Cumberland to consider declaring a climate state of emergency

The declaration will be discussed at the 2019 Strategic Priorities meeting in June

Blaine, Wash. inn owner, charged with smuggling people into B.C., granted bail

Robert Joseph Boule ordered to turn away anyone indicating a plan to enter Canada illegally

RCMP arrest B.C. man following threatening Vaisakhi Facebook post

Post made reference to pressure cooker bomb at massive Surrey parade

Most Read