Police probe ethnic vote scandal

A special prosecutor has been appointed to assess possible charges related to the B.C. Liberal Party's ethnic voter outreach efforts

Premier Christy Clark announces the Times of India Film Awards

VICTORIA – A special prosecutor has been appointed to assess possible charges related to the B.C. Liberal Party’s ethnic voter outreach efforts last year.

The RCMP and the criminal justice branch revealed Thursday that they are investigating a complaint of possible violations of the Election Act made in August. NDP leader Adrian Dix then announced that he made the complaint in a letter to police.

Vancouver lawyer David Butcher has been appointed to assess the potential for charges arising out of former B.C. government staffers’ plans to use government resources to build support for the B.C. Liberal Party before the May election.

Dix said in a statement the complaint related to allegations the NDP made in the legislature in July. Documents released after the election included an email from former government staffer Brian Bonney suggesting that a contractor be offered a job to keep her from releasing information damaging to Premier Christy Clark and the party.

Bonney left his government communications job days before a draft version of the ethnic outreach plan was leaked to the NDP in February. Clark’s former deputy chief of staff, who distributed the plan, resigned along with another staffer, and Richmond-Steveston MLA John Yap quit his cabinet post as minister of state for multiculturalism.

Clark’s spokesman Ben Chin said Thursday the government will “cooperate fully” with the investigation.

A review of the plan by senior public servants found that Bonney’s conduct and the hiring of a contractor to do political work were “serious breaches” of the oath taken by all government employees.

The plan focused on arranging government events for immigrant communities, and collecting lists of potential supporters for use by the B.C. Liberal Party in the election campaign.

 

Just Posted

Valley student’s passion project helping Cumberland forest

It took a little while for Frederica Blouin-Comeau to find her passion… Continue reading

Emailed bomb threat triggers heavy police presence at Comox Valley RV

Heavy police presence could be seen at Comox Valley RV on Ryan… Continue reading

Baby, it’s nasty outside: wind and rain will continue across Vancouver Island

Police warn drivers and pedestrians to use precaution during expected rain and winds

Help the Comox Valley RCMP ‘Cram the Cruiser’ with items for the food bank

RCMP will be onsite at the Real Canadian Superstore Saturday

Transit Rider Appreciation Day Friday in the Comox Valley

Transit riders in the Comox Valley are invited to enjoy some festive… Continue reading

UPDATE: B.C. businesses evacuated due to emailed bomb threat, also received in U.S.

Penticton and Comox Valley businesses evacuated Thursday morning

VIDEO: Kitten rescued from under school bus in Duncan

School staff have affectionately called kitten “Axle”

$12K awarded to atheist family who oppose Christmas, Hanukkah in B.C. classroom

Gary Mangel,May Yasue said holidays, Remembrance Day and Valentine’s Day not appropriate in preschool

Coach accused of sexual assault says apology letter was misinterpreted

Dave Brubaker has pleaded not guilty to one count of sexual assault and one count of invitation to sexual touching

Give the gift of nature this holiday season

Please don’t be mad, but I bought you a moose

Aboriginal poet faces backlash for calling out NHL-themed totem poles

Rebecca Thomas says she received backlash for asking a drugstore chain to remove NHL merchandise

No plans yet for free WiFi on BC Transit buses

BC Transit says they are monitoring the roll-out of free WiFi on Translink vehicles

Some Kotex tampons recalled in Canada and U.S.

In some cases, tampon users sought medical attention “to remove tampon pieces left in the body.”

Sex-assault squad investigated eight incidents at Toronto all-boys’ school

The interim president of a Roman Catholic all-boys school rocked by student-on-student abuse allegations said the football program was cancelled for next year.

Most Read