Police were on the scene after a daytime shooting in Vernon Monday. (Roger Knox/Vernon Morning Star)

UPDATE: Vernon shooting victim linked to B.C. crime spree in serious condition

Car sought in connection with three B.C. incidents now recovered

UPDATED THURSDAY, MAY 10, 2 p.m.: Police say the Ford Crown Victoria car has now been recovered.

ORIGINAL:

After preliminary investigations into what appeared to be three separate incidents in three B.C. cities earlier this week, RCMP have uncovered a possible link between a shooting in Vernon, a carjacking in Penticton and a police-involved shooting in Nanaimo that left one man dead.

In a news release Wednesday evening, RCMP asked for the public’s assistance in locating a 1996 grey, Ford Crown Victoria bearing B.C. licence plate DR258M, which was last seen in West Kelowna. Police also asked for any witnesses that have not yet spoken to police to come forward with information on any of the three incidents.

According to information provided by police, Vernon North Okanagan RCMP responded to a shooting in the 2700-block of 43 Avenue at about noon on Monday.

The alleged shooter, described as a Caucasian man, 5’9” with blonde hair, was seen leaving the area in the Ford Crown Victoria, police said.

A lone man was found in a vehicle with gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital. The 24-year-old from Vernon, as of Thursday, remained in hospital in serious condition.

At 8:35 p.m. that same day, Penticton RCMP were called to a motel in the 800-block of Westminster Avenue for a report of a man with a gun.

The man was seen in possession of a high-visibility vest and matched the description of the suspect in the Vernon shooting. The man fled before police arrived.

A short while later, at 8:46 p.m., Penticton RCMP received a report of a carjacking in the 100-block of Maple Street.

A person driving a bluish-grey Pontiac Vibe reported that a man matching the description of both previous incidents asked for a ride to the hospital to see a sick family member.

Once inside the car, the man assaulted the driver. They were forced from the vehicle in the 900-block of Main Street, Penticton, police said. The victim sustained serious but non-life threatening injuries.

At 8:35 a.m. on Tuesday, Penticton RCMP were notified that the stolen Pontiac Vibe was mobile and nearing the Departure Bay Ferry Terminal in Nanaimo. Assistance from Nanaimo RCMP was sought to arrest the suspect driver as the vehicle left the ferry.

“The vehicle was stopped by police and a takedown was initiated,” Chief Supt. Sean Sullivan, RCMP Island District commander, said Tuesday. “It resulted in what police believed was an individual with a firearm and shots were fired, resulting in the serious injuries to the suspect which later resulted in his death.

Shots were fired by police after Nanaimo RCMP officers reported that the man had a weapon.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene, which is now under investigation by the Independent Investigation Office of British Columbia.

More to come.

Just Posted

Motorcycle stolen from Courtenay residence

Comox Valley RCMP report, week ending Aug. 20

Transit service expansion rolling into the Comox Valley

4,000 service hours added to CV Transit System

Sisters swimming to protect B.C. coastal ecosystems

Jennifer and Alyssa Madill are preparing to swim from Denman Island to Hornby Island

Foul play not suspected in man’s death in Chemainus

Long attempt made to revive unidentified person on the dock

Social media, digital photography allow millennials to flock to birdwatching

More young people are flocking to birdwatching than ever, aided by social media, digital photography

Vehicle fire on the Coquihalla

Heavy congestion in north bound lanes

Prime minister greeted by B.C. premier as cabinet retreat begins

PM Justin Trudeau and Premier John Horgan meet in advance of federal cabinet meetings in Nanaimo

Are your kids anxious about going back to school?

BC Children’s Hospital offers tips to help your children be mindful and reduce stress

New trial ordered for James Oler in B.C. child bride case

Meanwhile, appeal court dismisses Emily Blackmore’s appeal of guilty verdict

This trash heap in Vancouver could be yours for $3.9 million

Sitting atop 6,000 square feet, the home was built in 1912, later destroyed by fire

Team Canada’s next game postponed at Little League World Series

They’re back in action on Wednesday against Peurto Rico

Ex-Trump lawyer Cohen pleads guilty in hush-money scheme

Said he and Trump arranged payment to porn star Stormy Daniels and a former Playboy model to influence the election

Former Trump aide Paul Manafort found guilty of eight charges

A mistrial has been declared for the other 10 charges against him

Most Read