Letter to the editor

LETTER – Courtenay dog owner sends out appeal to cannabis users

Dear editor,

Since the legalization of cannabis products, veterinarians are seeing an alarming increase in the number of dogs suffering from THC exposure.

Unfortunately, dogs will consume substances containing cannabis (i.e. roaches, vomit and feces) and the consequences can be fatal. A recent walk in Seal Bay Park could have resulted in tragedy for us.

After returning home, both our dogs became ill, and our Labrador puppy required an emergency trip to the veterinarian where he was diagnosed with, and treated for, THC intoxication.

We appeal to cannabis users to not leave any substance containing cannabis anywhere where dogs may come in contact with it. Surely no responsible person, dog lover or not, would want anyone to suffer the heartbreak of losing a beloved family member.

Kathy Metcalfe

Courtenay

cannabisLetter to the Editor