The Province of B.C. and the Aboriginal Sport Recreation and Physical Activity Partners Council (Partners Council) have collaborated to establish a new awards program to celebrate the outstanding achievements of aboriginal youth athletes throughout the province.
The Premier’s Awards for Aboriginal Youth Excellence in Sport will recognize athletes who have excelled in performance sport, display strong leadership qualities, are committed to higher education, and who serve as community role models both on and off the field of play.
Youth athletes (under 25 years of age) currently training and competing in performance sport are invited to apply for one of 12 Premier’s Awards (six male and six female), which will be awarded annually.
Recipients will be honoured at a formal ceremony conducted at the 2016 Gathering Our Voices Aboriginal Youth Conference in Victoria on March 21. Recipients will also receive an invitation to attend a special Aboriginal Youth Sport Leadership Forum that is held annually during Gathering Our Voices.
To be eligible for the awards, an athlete must meet the following criteria:
• Has been a permanent resident of B.C. for the last 12 months
• Is of aboriginal ancestry (First Nations, Métis and Inuit)
• Is currently registered with a B.C. Provincial Sport Organization and/or involved in a Partners Council program (including recognized regional/traditional sports)
• Is under the age of 25 (born in 1991 or later)
• Is actively participating and in one or more sports (recognized provincial sports as well as regional/traditional sports) and shows evidence of high athletic ability and performance results
• Demonstrates leadership both on and off the field of play
• Is committed and dedicated to learning and academics and is actively pursuing or planning to pursue a post-secondary education
Note: Recipients of the Premier’s Awards for Aboriginal Youth Excellence in Sport are not eligible to apply for or receive the award in subsequent years.
Nomination forms may be either completed online or downloaded:
• Online: http://aboriginalsportbc.ca/grants-and-opportunities/premiers-awards-for-aboriginal-youth-excellence-in-sport/ (this form cannot be saved and must be completed and submitted in one session)
• Download: http://aboriginalsportbc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/PA-2016-Nomination-Form.pdf (this form can be saved and emailed when complete)
• Nomination forms must be completed in full. Incomplete forms will not be considered.
• The deadline for nominations is Jan. 29 by 4:30 p.m.
• Late applications will not be accepted.
Email the completed forms to email@example.com
The award’s selection committee will assess nominees using the following five criteria:
1. Sport Achievements — Pursuing and achieving sport performances leading towards podium placements at provincial, national and international competitions
2. Leadership Qualities — Demonstrating the qualities of leadership, coachability, strong work ethic, and the characteristics of fair play both on and off the field of play, as well as demonstrating a commitment to a healthy lifestyle and to their sport/community through volunteer activities
3. Education — Demonstrating a commitment to academic studies and continued education
4. Cultural Awareness — Demonstrating pride in their aboriginal ancestry and being actively engaged in cultural activities
5. Future Goals — Demonstrating how their experience in sport is shaping their future
Applicants must not contact members of the selection committee regarding the status of their nomination. All requests for information should be directed to the Aboriginal Sport Recreation and Physical Activity Partners Council.
All nominees will be notified by Feb. 21 of the selection committee’s decisions. Successful nominees will be invited to attend the inaugural presentation of the Premier’s Awards in Victoria at the 2016 Gathering Our Voices Aboriginal Youth Conference, March 21-24.
Award winners will also be invited to attend a special Aboriginal Youth Sport Leadership Forum, which will be hosted in conjunction with GOV March 21-24.
Funding will be provided for each recipient and one guest to attend the Premier’s Awards ceremony. Each recipient will also have their costs covered to attend the Aboriginal Youth Sport Leadership Forum.
Inquiries and eligibility questions should be directed to:
Joe Akerman, Manager Regional Engagement, phone 250-388-5522, fax 250-388-5502, toll-free 1-800-990-2432, email firstname.lastname@example.org