Kayakers get ready for their stage of the 2014 MOMAR at Comox Lake.

Record sell-out for 2015 Atmosphere MOMAR

Mind Over Mountain Adventure Race returning to Cumberland on Sept. 26

The Atmosphere Mind Over Mountain Adventure Race (MOMAR) returns to Cumberland on Sept. 26 for its 16th season.  This year’s race sold out in record time and with a record number of participants.

Over 550 racers will be participating in the MOMAR, making it the largest adventure race in North America. About 15 per cent of the racers reside in the Comox Valley, with the remaining 85 per cent coming from all over B.C. and as far away as Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Ontario and Oregon.

According to the race director Bryan Tasaka, the MOMAR continues to sell out at a faster rate every year.

“We are blown away by the demand for this year’s MOMAR,” says Tasaka. “Awareness of the MOMAR, and adventure racing in general, is growing again. Over 40 per cent of this year’s participants are first-time racers, with more on the wait list,” Tasaka said.

“Cumberland is an amazing venue for adventure racing and it’s a big reason why this race has become so popular.  The community and businesses have been incredibly supportive and the trail network and scenery are world class.”

The MOMAR has partnered with the Cumberland Community Forest Society who will be running various fundraising campaigns throughout the race weekend. The race also supports the Make-A-Wish Foundation that grants wishes to children with life-threatening illnesses.

The MOMAR is sponsored by Atmosphere, Merrell, Frontrunners, Clif Bar, Parkside Hotel & Spa, and Cowichan Cycles. Cumberland businesses that also sponsor the MOMAR include Riding Fool Hostel, Tarbell’s Deli, Comox Valley Kayaks, Stansbury’s Guest House, Wandering Moose, Seeds Natural Foods and Riders Pizza.

The MOMAR is an off road multisport sprint adventure race that requires teams to mountain bike, kayak, trail run, and navigate through a series of checkpoints over scenic and rugged west coast terrain. The MOMAR series has staged 37 races in British Columbia, Canada over 16 race seasons.

– Mind Over Mountain Adventure Race

 

Just Posted

Some Cumberland businesses closing for climate strike rally Friday

A Climate Strike Cumberland Solidarity Rally is set for outside the Cumberland municipal office

Comox contestant competes on Great Canadian Baking Show

Andrea Nauta auditioned for the show before but was lucky second time around

Comox hires former Nanaimo city manager as interim CAO

The position will be for an estimated six months

Cumberland doing more geotech work on dam

Allen Lake assessment shows small area of ‘unsuitable’ material needing more study

Cumberland joins other communities in plastic ban response

Village collaborates with Squamish, Tofino following court’s quash of single-use regulation

VIDEO: Trudeau asks Canada to look to current, not past, actions on race

Liberal leader says he never spoke about the racist photo because he was embarrassed

Horvat paces Canucks to 6-1 pre-season win over Oilers

Vancouver improves to 3-1 in NHL exhibition action

Legislature gifts, clothing, travel need better control, B.C. auditor says

Audit follows suspensions of managers by Speaker Darryl Plecas

‘Really disturbing:’ Trudeau’s racist photos worry B.C. First Nation chief

Wet’suwet’en Chief concerned the photos will sow fear in Indigenous communities

‘Unacceptable’: What politicians have to say about Trudeau in blackface

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi: ‘When I saw that picture last night, certainly it was a sucker-punch’

‘He’s trying to kill me’: Victoria police commandeer boats to reach screaming woman

No charges laid and civilians to be awarded honours after incident on Gorge Waterway

VIDEO: B.C. man accused of assaulting sex worker loses temper in interrogation

Defence lawyer says statements made by accused Curtis Sagmoen should be deemed inadmissible

John Horgan promises action after fatal mid-Island bus crash

Premier cites students, local Indigneous community as reason to repair the road

Teens charged in stabbing death of B.C. man in strip mall parking lot

Two youths, aged 15 and 16, charged in Aug. 16 killing of South Surrey’s Paul Prestbakmo

Most Read