The first meeting of the Vancouver Island Soccer Academy on Feb. 16 was well-attended by lots of familiar faces and a few new faces.
The registration process has been initiated online and will continue in the week ahead. Importantly, there will be a second meeting on Friday, Feb. 28 from 6-8 p.m. at the Old House Village and Spa in the meeting room to finalize the registration process and size the players for clothing. All parents and players must be present at this meeting to discuss the training times and days one last time before we set the wheels in motion. Importantly, there will be several additions to the coaching staff for 2014 as we build towards a more professional development model:
• Shel Brodsgaard is the founder of the Vancouver Island Soccer Academy (est. 2013). Shel is a National B License Certified Coach. Currently, Shel is the VIPL Riptides Soccer Development Coordinator, Kwalikum Secondary School Soccer Center for Excellence Director, Oceanside Youth Soccer Society Technical Director and founder of Denman Island Residential Summer Soccer Camps (est. 2000).
He is also the former Canadian Soccer Association National Teams Goalkeeper Coach (2000-2006) and recently spent a season with Toronto FC in the MLS as the Sports Performance Analyst (2012). Shel has been involved with the game at all levels and thoroughly enjoys being involved with the players, parents and coaches in the North Island.
• Ken Garraway is a National B License Certified Coach, BCSA Course Conductor and former BCSA Provincial Team Coach. Ken also played for the Canadian Men’s World Cup Team in 1986.
Ken is a fantastic coach with a wonderful sense of humor. His sessions are lively, intense, demanding and educational. Ken’s involvement with any youth soccer organization brings forward the level of professionalism both on and off the field.
• Jamie Fales is a National B License Certified Coach and NCCP Level Four Theory Certified. Jamie is a graduate of the National Coaching Institute in Victoria and was a member of the Canadian Women’s National Team Support Staff from 2003-2007. Jamie has extensive coaching experience and was a captain for the Canadian National Team in his youth. Jamie exudes passion for the game and is a tremendous motivator for youth. His sessions are full of life and love for the game- there are few who can match the energy Jamie puts out when working with kids.
• Bruno CH Munger will be running the Keeners Program for the 2003-2004-2005 players. Bruno is a former national team handball player and soccer enthusiast. He created a successful campaign for the Keeners through the CVUSC and will continue to do so under the VISA banner. His first project will be to return to Vancouver in early April to compete with both the Keeners and Keeners-Lite in a tournament.
• Marc St. Jules is the owner/operator of “The Cave.” Marc is a highly successful and effective personal trainer. He will bring a level of professionalism to the training and development of our academy athletes with his “cleats” program. Marc spent the winter working with several of the VIPL age groups and recently ran a very successful campaign with a select groups of 2002 born players from the academy. The players will benefit tremendously from these workouts which will be included in the training times.
“We look forward to another exciting spring!” Brodsgaard said.
– Vancouver Island Soccer Academy